my cousin is 27 weeks pregnant and i know for a fact that she used herion early in pregnancy. I am not for sure but i think that she still uses sometimes. I have just recently talked her in to going back to the doctor after about three months without prenatal care. I know that she is not being honest with her doctor or with herself for that matter. I just want to know what effects this can have on the baby and on her and what to expect at the time of delivery.

Health Advisor
Hello! I ran into your post and just wanted to share my experience about the effects of heroin on pregnancy.
I found out my daughter was a heroin addict when she had a miscarriage after trying to stop suddenly. I suppose she only wanted to do what is best for her child but didn’t have much knowledge of the things that could go wrong.

Call me a bad mother for not noticing things earlier but the thing is that she has lived away from home for over two years now. I found out from the doctors in hospital. I have to admit that was shocking.

Anyway, she has been off heroin ( I’ve been checking) since this happened and I insisted she moved back in the house. She is suffering such mental and emotional consequences because of the miscarriage that I am so worried that she might to back to heroin. The man she has been seeing is also a drug addict but I don’t think they’re seeing each other anymore.
Addiction is a very nasty thing. I hope that the baby of your cousin won’t suffer many consequences.

I just found out that I am 18 weeks along and now in my second trimester of pregnancy. In those 18 weeks I was involved in a car accident was perscribed morphine and xanax and was in the middle of a 3 year battle with ending my herion abuse. In the last 18 weeks I have mildly used heroin, But I have. And that goes along with being on those medications and a medication called suboxone. I REALLY want to have this baby and i NEED to know all the affects I can encounter during childbirth or affects the baby could have. If anyone out there knows a little bit and could please help me understand more I would greatly appreciate it. I am now clean and I will continue to stay clean as long as I can after my childbirth I want to do whats best for the baby.

hey, I would recommend staying on the suboxone until you are free and clear of experiencing any withdrawal symptoms. I'm sortof in the same boat. I was a heroin addict for 7 years (age 18-25) and started taking suboxone and switched to methadone after abvout one year. I had been taking methadone on a daily basis for a long time when I found out I was pregnant. I never told my doctor about my drug history, and amazingly, the drug test they give doesn't check for methadone. Anyways, I'm expecting this baby to be born in four weeks, and I have successfully weened myself down from 80mgs per day to 5mgs per day. Next week I'm going to quit taking the 5mgs of methadone completely, and the baby should be fine. Anyways, it is very dangerous to quit cold turkey when you are pregnant. It can cause a miscarraige. Thats why I slowly cut down over the past seven-eight months. All I have to say is that it worked for me and I did it without the help of a doctor. I strongly reccommend that you DO tell your doctor though. If your not sure of what your doing, or think that you are too addicted to cut back on your own, you must tell someone, and get help. No baby deserves to be born addicted to drugs.

If you really care about your baby and you want it to live you should stop EVERYTHING now!Plus you doctor does blood tests right don't think that he doesn't know what is in your system,if you don't quit be prepared for the state to take your baby as soon as you give birth.you choose what is more important getting your fix,or keeping a healthy baby.