Hi my friend is addicted to heroin for 11 years and is ready to get clean but choosing a detox is really hard, she has narrowed down to two, the Focus 12 in UK which uses Subutex and you live in a flat 20mins from the centre with other recovering addicts. sounds dodgy! 10 week prg.The other place is Cita in Barcelona which is 24 hr medical supervision and uses Methadone and beta blockers and oral morphine. 2 week program. Problem- her health is not good and i feel she needs the medical supervision and also a 3 year old daughter so doesn't want to be away for 10 wks. HAs anyone any good advice? ITs urgent thanks!

Hi there, I know that the reason why they want to keep her close is to keep an eye on her while she recovers. I think that either one sounds like it's going to be difficult, but the Barcelona one sounds better since she needs medical supervision. Would you watch her daughter while she's out of the country?

Hi and thanks for the quick reply! Yes my own daughter has always said she will look after the child, she is her godmother and is happy to do that. Our feeling is also that the Barcelona place would be better as we feel she should have supervision. The thing is it is a 2 week prog, she has a budget and that would be all the money so no extra for a follow up rehab. She would come home and go to NA and hopefully find a good counsellor- would that be enough? The other place is 10 weeks and the cost of this long treatment is within her budget and this would be good on the rehab side of things. but she feels she may not handle being away that long, and also it doesn't seem right that she is going to the center in the morning, getting the meds and staying there all day but going back to a flat at the end of the day with others. They do assign a "buddy" who would be with her but i just worry about the physical side of the detox, i don't understand why they don't seem to feel it necessary for her to be under a doctor care 24 hours. I guess she is at the centre during the day, but what if something happened in the night?

First let her consult a good physician or a rehab center and state her problem,
they can give any suggestion for her child being taken care,
some rehab centers do have creche facilities.