Guys, my sister is desperate and that's stretching for a few weeks back and I don't know how to help her since we live so far away. Her daughter, my little lovely niece Tanya apparently has some heart issues. She doesn't know what this is, her husband didn't want to explain to her all of it, but he told her that she needs to have Subclavian flap. She tried to find out something about this issue, but the problem is because she doesn't know which heart condition Tanya has. I was wondering can you tell me and tell me what is Subclavian flap and for what heart condition is used?

Tnx a lot. 

I am really sorry to hear this about your niece. How old is she? I hate when those things happen to so young and innocent people :/  Look, subclavian flap is the new technique for the reparation of aortic coarctation. So I believe that she is dealing with this issue, but I am not sure so don’t take this as diagnose. I believe that the operation is needed in this case but I can’t help you more because we really need to find out more information about it. And I am really wondering why her husband won't tell her this, what heart condition does she have? 

Hello there. I am afraid that I don't know why he avoid to tell her this. Maybe he is super scared because he is a doctor and he knows that this is something serious, maybe he doesn't want to tell her this to scare her. I don't know. About your questions, let me answer you - she is almost 13 years old and she was staying without breath occasionally. But they were thinking that she doesn't know how to breath properly since she was playing volleyball lately. But it seems that something worse is going on. You have mentioned that subclavian flap is the new technique for the reparation of aortic coarctation. Could it be that coarctation? What this is and is it dangerous?

Well, to be honest with you, it is relatively a new technique, it has been out there for about 30 years now and it is a matter of choice because there are also other techniques and surgeries for the conditions for which the subclavian flap is used for, which is the repairment of aortic coarctation.

I don't know, it seems to me that in these 30 years this procedure seems to have showed pretty good results, I would dare to go along with it if I had to. They can also ask the doctor about other possible procedures since there are a few of them.

Hey Guest,

This technique is not much talked about, I wonder how did your niece's doctor came up with the idea to have this done, there are other techniques which are used nowadays, this one was first tried somewhere around 1980 and after 1990, you are rarely going to hear about it being used (it did show good results, but the technology improvement brought even better techniques with itself).

I'd suggest that your sister talks to two or three other doctors as well, and then she can compare their suggestions. I don't know, I'm simply not sure about this choice of procedure to be done.

I don't know, I think this is a pretty much good technique.

It is relatively simple, it allows for the use of the patient's own tissue, it has a low recurrence rate, and it provides excellent relief of the obstruction. A relative disadvantage is that the subclavian artery is sacrificed in the subclavian flap angioplasty technique. Transient decreased perfusion to the left arm has been observed in older patients who have undergone repair using this technique, but limb threatening ischemia is rare. Associated aortic arch hypoplasia is not addressed with this technique.

You should have a choice of the treatment option though.