Hi guys. Yesterday, my childhood friend from the junior high called me to inform me that she is finally at my city that she is finally in America (she lives in Europe for last three years). She wanted to meet me so I accepted her call. We went to one beautiful coffee shop and I was really glad to taking with her again. But then she told me why she came in America. She was diagnosed with aortic dissection and I was wondering is this a life – threating condition and how to treat it? I want to help her as much as I can.

Hi Coffee,

Yes.  It is very serious and is often fatal.

Blood vessels, like the aorta, are not one piece.  There is a inner "lining."  With a dissection that lining is torn and blood accumulates between the layers.  If it burst it can be fatal.  It is often sudden.

Is your friend seeking medical attention?

Hi guys,

As Medic Dan wrote, aortic dissection is a very serious condition. In this condition, the inner layer of the aorta, the large blood vessel branching off the heart, is tearing apart. Blood surges through the tear, causing the inner and middle layers of the aorta to separate (dissect). If the blood-filled channel ruptures through the outside aortic wall, aortic dissection is often fatal.

The trouble with this disease is that in the most causes, it is noticed too late. When an aortic dissection is detected early and treated promptly, the chances of survival greatly improve. It all depends of when did she find this out.

Hello everyone,

Yes, it is a very serious condition and it is life threatening. In most cases this is associated with severe characteristic chest or abdominal pain described as "tearing" in character, and often with other symptoms that result from decreased blood supply to other organs. It is a medical emergency and can quickly lead to death, even with optimal treatment, as a result of decreased blood supply to other organs, heart failure, and sometimes rupture of the aorta.

This disease happens mostly to people in their late 60's and early 70's. As Health n Joy said, it all depends on whether did your friend find this out on time or not.

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to say this but from what I can read, I don't think that your friend has big chances of fighting this. This is usually a very serious and a life threatening condition, and since she came to America just for finding a way to treat it, it's probably pretty bad already. There is also a possibility that her condition is already unrepairable and that she actually came back in order to meet some old friends and family for a final goodbye.

I'm sorry about saying it that way but aortic dissection is deadly in most cases, and from your story, I don't think that she has much of a chance.

Hey everybody,

You are just being too pessimistic about this, Stradivarius. Everyone can put up fight against any kind of disease, even against this one.

It is indeed very dangerous and in a lot of cases, deadly. But that doesn't necessarily mean that your friend can't win against this condition. It depends a lot on how much did her condition progress, and when did she find out that she has it. If she found it out late, I'm afraid that she doesn't have much of a chance to win this fight.

Tell her to stay strong, there's got to be a way out of this.

Good day everyone and thank you so much for answering me that quickly. I went to see her and actually I spent five days with her – no phones, no internet. We were just talking. She is not scared at all. I assumed that this is dangerous but I didn’t want to tell her that.

Well, she knows that if this is not treated it can lead to death. Now she is at the good hands, amazing doctors are all around her and we are hoping that everything is going to be ok with her.

Are there any good medications for this that some doctor can prescribe her?  

Good day everyone. Definitely it is very serious condition. And it should be treated immediately. But, aortic dissection is life treating condition. I know that the key point in prevention of this is managing very high blood pressure. Well, minimizing this and other risk factors can reduce the risk of aortic dissection.

But if you are already dealing with it you should know that it is life – threatening.

But the treatment depends on the area of where the dissection is located. Dissections involving the aorta, where it goes up from the heart are known as type A dissections and they are usually treated with the surgery.

Dissections that are involving the rest of the aorta are know as type B dissections and usually there  are no complications. They are treated with medications.

Good day.

Make me a coffee, I am very sorry about your friend. It must be very hard for you to see her in the hospital after so many years :( Unfortunately, I do know the feeling.

I am pretty much sure that this procedure requires urgent and immediate treatment. Sometimes it can be treated with surgery, sometimes with medications.

Those are two ways to treat it and which way is the best your doctor should recommend you.  

Of course, the best news to hear is that aortic dissection is life – threatening condition and I am sure that this is very encouraging.

Hey there.

My doctor told me a few days ago about this. It depends is this aortic dissection acute or not. My friend was diagnosed with acute aortic dissection, and it can also be treated medically or surgically. In surgically treatment the area of the aorta with the intimal tear is usually resected and replaced with something called Dacron graft (I am not sure what this is).

My friend is treating it medically and so far she is feeling just fine. I suppose that this means that aortic dissection is life – threatening condition.

I wish you and your friend all the best.