Hello there,

I've been stuck in the hospital for the past few days because I had a horrible headache that just wouldn't stop. Anyway, I'm all better now, I didn't want to talk about myself but about this woman that I met while I was staying there. She told me that she has aortic dissection and that it is extremely dangerous. She told me that the doctors were supposed to determine what type of aortic dissection does she have so that they could choose the right treatment for her.

I left the hospital before she found out about this so can anyone tell me what are the types of an aortic dissection and what causes it?

Hey Health n joy,

Aortic dissection is the most common catastrophe of the aorta, 2-3 times more common than rupture of the abdominal aorta. When it is left untreated, 33% of patients die in the first 24 hours and 50% die within the first 48 hours so it indeed is a lot dangerous.

There are two types of aortic dissection classifications, Stanford and DeBakey classifications.

Stanford classification divides this condition into 2 types, Type A and type B. Type A is more dangerous and it requires surgery, while type B doesn't.

DeBakey classification divides aortic dissection into 3 groups, Type I involves the ascending aorta, aortic arch, and descending aorta, Type II is confined to the ascending aorta and Type III is confined to the descending aorta distal to the left subclavian artery

Hi Adria,

I had no idea that this was that dangerous! But since this woman was in the hospital, I'm assuming that she got her treatment on time so she probably didn't die, am I right? She is such a nice person, I hope that she is okay.

And since she didn't know her exact diagnose, I mean, which type of aortic dissection did she have, she might have had some less dangerous type of aortic dissection, am I right? Is there anything else that you can tell me about aortic dissection? Does anyone happen to know what is causing it?

Hey guys,

Health n joy, aortic dissection occurs in a weakened area of the aortic wall. Chronic high blood pressure may stress the aortic tissue, making it more prone to tearing. A person can also be born with a condition associated with a weakened and enlarged aorta, such as Marfan syndrome, bicuspid aortic valve or other rarer conditions associated with weakening of the walls of the blood vessels. In rare cases, aortic dissections are caused by a traumatic injury to the chest area, such as during motor vehicle accident.

It is quite likely that she is doing just fine if she had a surgery done on time.

Hello everyone,

Well, I hope that your friend is okay now, Health n joy, like Stradivarius said, if she had her surgery on time, before the aorta ruptured, she is probably going to be fine.

Actually, all types of aortic dissection are quite dangerous, some are just a bit less dangerous than the other ones, so each type requires a proper treatment. However, while Type A requires a surgery, Type B can be treated with only medications so your friend didn't have to necessarily undergo surgery, but if she did, it's better for her anyway. Why don't you go and see her?

Hi there. I am sure that I was reading that this has more types. For example, there is that famous dissections into 2 types – and that is type A and type B. Now, type A involves the ascending aorta and it is known as DeBakey types I and II, and there is type B that we know as DeBakey type III,

This system is really easy to understand because it helps to delineate what is the best treatment for you. Usually, type A dissections requires immediately surgery, while type B of this disease, of this dissections may be managed medically under most conditions.

Hi there guys.

It is not my intention to scare you but any type of aortic dissection can be very dangerous. Very often aortic dissection can be fatal and cause death. But the main cause of aortic dissection is still unknown. I know what is the probably the biggest risk for aortic dissection and that is very high blood pressure. That is why this should not ever be ignored. It is very important to check out your blood pressure all the time, every day if you can. If you notice any changes call your doctor. 

Hey there.

I think that the easiest thing to explain is that there are type A of dissection and type B of dissection. Of course, they are totally different and you need to know more about the difference.

Type A means that tear begins in the ascending aorta and it progresses throughout the vessels. Very often it can came as far as the arteries of your legs are.

Type B means that the tear is located only in the descending aorta. Type A requires medical observation and immediate surgery. It is needed because you need to prevent death from heart attack. Type B can be treated with medications.

Hello there. I have Type B of aortic dissection and it occurs when there is an intimal tear present beyond the left subclavian artery. That is what I can read from my analyses. This tear can also form in the aortic arch. The false channel propagates distally into the descending and abdominal aorta. If the false channel travels toward the ascending aorta this is classified as a Type A aortic dissection. The flow of blood in the false channel can cause these complications by pinching / narrowing off the flow of blood into the branches of the aorta. It needs to be treated because some complications can happen if you don't heal it.