Hi all. I'm getting very frustrated with my symptoms and I don’t know what to do… My right gland in my throat has been swollen for the last month. It is always swollen and it really bothers me, I mean it does not hurt but it is very irritating. I went to my doctor but he said it was just some sort of an allergy. Trust me, that is not the cause – I’ve had allergies my whole life and have never experienced anything like this!!! Can anybody here tell me what this could be???

Unfortunately I don’t think that anybody here can give you right answer. On the other hand, the good news is that most swollen glands or lumps under the skin are not cause for concern. Why? Well, swollen lymph nodes usually develop when the body fights minor infections (eg. colds, insect bites, small cuts) and that is very common. Of course, the more serious infections the larger gland. But, there are some diseases for which swollen glands are the most visible symptom. For example, swollen glands may be caused by one the following diseases: mononucleosis, measles, rubella, mumps, varicella. So, if you believe that there’s more to it than “simple” fight of the body against minor infection then you can ask your dr. to test you on diseases mentioned above to make sure that you don’t have any. Hope this helps. Good luck.