My son, who is 9, developed high fever two nights ago (around 38,5 C), hasn’t eaten for those last two days and today I found that his lymph nodes behind ears are swollen. My sister says it could be lymphadenitis because her son had it some years ago and was treated with antibiotics but I think that lymphadenitis is usually caused by an underlying disease that should be treated, right?

Yes, lymphadenitis is an inflammation of the lymph nodes, and all the symptoms your son is going through could be symptoms of this inflammation. You need to take him to a doctor, so that they could check what has caused your sons lymph nodes to swell. It could be bacteria , such as Streptococci or Staphylococci, which are the most common cause, however other organism such as viruses, protozoa, rickettsiae, fungi, and the tuberculosis bacillus can also infect the lymph nodes. The most common disease found behind lymphadenitis, especially in children are strep throat, mumps, measles, ear infections, abscessed tooth, mononucleosis, etc