I have been suffering from scalp dermatitis for nearly a year on the right side of my head a small lump has appeared it is not sore to touch and I have no symptoms. When I visted the Doctor she said it was soft and could be moved but to me it feels hard she said it was probably a swolen lymph gland but I am still worrying could anybody help me ? I have a cold and sore throat at the moment and a sore tooth could it be something to do with the dermatitis ? I am 22 Years Old. I am worried that it could be Cancer Thank You.

Jen xx

Hi Jen,

To be honest I wouldn't worry about it. The funny thing about the scalp glands are that they commonly overreact to minor traumas to the scalp...bad shampoo, bug bites etc... You should only be concerned if you have many lymph nodes that swell...and more specifically if they are hard and fixed to the location....among other symptoms. Your Doctor has a pretty good idea of whats going on. Although we are all different our bodies are very similar in the way it reacts and fights invaders...but they are only human and not always correct....the best practice to include with your health...and specifically areas of concern, would be to seek a second opinion. Simple blood tests can be done to determine the health of your lymphatic system and your overall general health. One last thing, don't stress about what you don't know...you'll do your body more harm than good. And finally...take it easy on self diagnosing with the internet....there's a lot of c**p online. All these people helping people sites with their medical concerns are just that...c**p. there are so many different variables to each one of our own personal problems and concerns, that it's very difficult, if not impossible to get any sense of whats happening within our own issues. I've read so many people trying to be informative to peoples questions and they give advise thats based on nonsense...unless they have a medical degree and have been practicing for a few years...and even then, they can't possibly diagnose you with any reliability without actually seeing you, learning your history and searching your body for other symptoms. I know it's hard to relax when you worry...but honestly, get a second opinion from a professional doctor, and until then enjoy life. Take a deep breath and now schedule a second opinion and ask for thorough blood test to be sure. Thats a start...not to mention it'll give you a baseline for future consideration. But remember, we're all different so don't read many of those forums where people ask questions, and regular joe's answer them...those sites are garbage...and should only be used as support if you have a confirmed diagnoses...then they are an invaluable source for support. Otherwise, you'll say you have a symptom....and some assclown will reply that his/her relative or a friend of a friend of a friend had the same symptom....and then they died or some BS like that. I recently read one where some poor concerned person had a question about a swollen lymph node. one jackass replied that "not to scare you about your symptom, but ...and then he went into false details about the condition directly associated with that particular symptom...you should seek immediate medical help", when in fact there were many possible causes for his swollen node...and only with other symptoms, which they didn't have, should they seek immediate help. Can you imagine the poor bastard who received that reply. Anyways, this isn't a lecture...I'm just trying to let you know that it's good to be concerned, but always seek a professional doctors opinion and advice when dealing with any issues of concern. More times than not it'll be something minor....but to be sure, get a second opinion, listen to your body and seek advice worthy of your time. Best of luck and to your good health. :-)

What a wonderful response - Newbie is soooooooooooooooo right!! Online people stink - and most of the info just gets us all worked up :O