Hi. Where shall I begin? Presently my groin lymph nodes and neck lymph nodes are swollen. My groin lymph nodes have probably been swollen for about half a year or maybe more now and the neck has occured more recently- pain is not to bad but can be quite a dull ache sometimes. My groin is swollen on both sides and ame with my neck- but the right side of the neck is at times- very swollen and firm compared to the left. I think having a sore throat on the right side is also part of this. When the groin lymph nodes were first swollen I did experience some fatigue but didn't think anything of it and I have had night sweats approximately 5 times in the last month. Other things that you may want to take into account are itchyness over the body and muscle twitching. I haven't seen a doctor %-) but am going to soon, I've just been trying to foget about it but this hasn't happened and it is now ruining my work performance and increasing my alcohol consumption(as I forget about it when I'm drunk).
Also about 2months ago I had penile discharge but got this sorted and was just a infection in the urinary tract-negative for chlamydia/ gonnarhea. --I had unprotected sex with a spanish girl on holiday about 8 months agp- you may want to take this into account. Thanks.
Dymo- 17y/o

First of all, stop drinking as you can only aggravate your condition. It may make you forget at times but not disappear, so don’t so this to yourself.
Whenever there’s an infection, there are swollen lymph nodes. However, they usually subside when the infection clears. Lymph nodes that last longer than two weeks after an infection was gone should be evaluated and I think it is time you saw your doc NOW.

I reckon you may be thinking about HIV since you mentioned this unprotected sex 8 months ago. As far as I know, things go like this with HIV infections: two-four weeks after an infection had occurred, a person suffers from ARS and goes trough flu-like symptoms that last for about two weeks and may be misunderstood as a viral infection.

After that, a person doesn’t develop sickness ( AIDS) for the next ten years and doesn’t develop any symptoms until the sickness develops but is still contagious.

If a doc can’t figure out your symptoms, he will probably run some tests, if they don’t show anything, he may perform a lymph node biopsy to see what made them swell but for the piece of your mind, just have it checked!!!!

What’s stopping you?

What's stopping me?
Well to be honest It is because I am actually 95% sure I think I have HIV. It sounds stupid because I havn't been tested but I am just so sure of this %-) So I just don't want to hear I am HIV positive and this is what is stopping me. If I am HIV negative then I realise I need some help because it would be severe hypochondria. I realise this is stupid but I can't help it.

Hi, I was reading your post and I don’t think it’s stupid because I understand how you feel. I was thinking so many times if I would like to know if I had it or not. Sometimes I start tripping that I am HIV positive when I get some strange symptoms going on but the thing is that I am in a monogamous relationship and the chances are minimal. I mean, we haven’t been tested but the chances are really small. Still I can’t stop thinking about it sometimes. It must be PMS.

Then I read that you are only 17 and had just one unprotected sex. Although that is enough to catch the virus, I don’t think you should be going through life thinking you are HIV positive. It is very bad attitude towards life and you are only frustrating yourself.

It is not fair to others as well. When you find a normal girlfriend…what will you do? You won’t have condoms with you all the time if you are uncertain about the disease.

What I am trying to say is……that I would get tested if I were so obsessed with it and if I had chances of contracting the virus. By finding out, you will be liberated and even if you do have it, you will just learn to deal with it and learn to act appropriately and will know how to protect yourself and people around you.

I know it sounds hard but I reckon you should think twice about it.

And besides, those swollen glands, sore throat, fatigue, and other symptoms you mentioned may indicate a prolonged presence of bacteria in your body and I would have it checked and possible treated and not go around thinking you have HIV virus.

I know you've been to the doctor by now, but I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma and those are the exact signs I had- night sweats and itchiness are true signs as are swollen lymph glands. Whatever you have, I hope you get well soon.

I have just read this but what about all of your symptoms
what did you really have?

regards,

Have you had a test for GLANDULAR FEVER??? If not you should go and ask for one from your doctor. A simple blood test is all you need.

Make sure you call them for the results though, as I was positive and only found out 5 months after my test when I went back in with repeated tonsillitis and swollen glands in neck and groin areas.

If it is glandular fever. Rest is all you can do. Don't drink any alcohol. Loads of water and fruit and veg.

Can I just say as well. Your not a hypochondriac for being worried about your body. Don't be assuming your HIV positive though just because your glands are up and have night sweats. Just get the Glandular Fever test done and then if your negative it still doesn't mean HIV. Could be an umber of less severe things. Honestly though the worst thing is the not knowing THATS something I couldn't live with!! so be brave and go and get what ever tests you need doing.

i have exactly those symptoms at the moment and have never had unprotected sex so i know i dont have HIV so dont be assuming you have it. i went to my doctor when i first got lumps on my neck and the dull ache you described and i was treated like i was being stupid and told they would go away..over 6 months later i now have more swollen lymph nodes on my groin have started to get night sweats pains unde rmy arms behind my ears and the pain in my neck has became constant. i went back to the doctors yesterday and he seemed worried and i am having tests done next week, im just angry i wasnt taken serious in the beginning

Yes I am having similar symptoms. I have swollen glands in my neck and groin. I thought at one stage I could feel something under my armpits but that has gone away. I have had red tonsils also. For me it started after I got tonsilitis. Antibiotics cleared it all up except for the redness on my tonsils. A few weeks later I noticed one gland below my left ear was swollen. A week or so later the glands under my jaw swelled up suddendly and have been that way for nearly 3 months now. The gland below my ear has gone down but all the neck and groin glands are still swollen along with my tonsils. Personally I don't feel affected (ie. no tiredness or anything) but another course of anti-biotics failed to fix it up. I'm having a test done tomorrow. With any luck that will shed some light on things. (Hopefully not bad!!).

It's kind of scary when you type the symptoms into google though. Everything keeps coming up with cancer or HIV....

Anyone with any comments would be welcome! Personally I don't think it would be HIV. That doesn't make any sense.

I'm unconvincd that it's cancer or HIV, but it should be checked out by a doctor. It sounds to me like you may just have tonisilitis again and that you may not have kicked it. Can you tell me what the test said?

Put yourself out of misery and get tested . I am a lot older than you and I went through the exact experience 21 years ago . No internet then ... I found the lump in my neck and went into abook store and found the symptons for "lump in neck" it came up as AIDS ... So know how you feel . Eventually I went to doctors ,asked if I had Glandular Fever .I hadn't . c**p doctor basically so went to another and he sent me to hospital for a biopsy . Came back all clear thank God .I was 26 when all this happened. The first time I felt a lymph node had been in my groin when I was 23 and I never put the two together (and I ignored it). Anway I am now 46 .... and I think the lymph nodes are connected to herpes I got through my first sexual encounter :-( But if this is what you may have do not worry , not as scary as it sounds and very common .

hello.. i am 17 and i have had swollen lymph nodes in my groin and i have a few lumps under my jaw but idk if there lymph nodes or not... i also have a pea sized lump about an inch over my adams apple. also a bit of a lump in the back left side of my neck.... none of these are pimples or ingrown hairs... i know what those look and feel like... these are lumps... they have no pain, not even when i touch them.. but i have lost a good deal of weight recently so when i see new muscles nd bones everyday ive never seen its kinda hard to know if somethings not rite... but ive ben hacking up mucus for like a month now....no sore thraught at all just mucus.. sounds horrible but no pain at all.. this is all very confusing... nd hard to know if i should go to the hospital.. every time i tell my parents they dont even pay interest... should i decide to make a scene to go to the doctor? but if nothings wrong i look like a jackass.... what should i do? whats wrong with meee??????

Just go to the doctors,tell them everything and don't settle for "come back in a few weeks".

If you smoke, the mucus could be caused by this. Also the lump may be a cyst which would have similar characteristics.

Don't worry about looking like a "jackass". Go to the doctor with or without your parents for your own peace of mind. Better looking like a ``jackass`` and being healthy than not going to have it looked at at all.

Sounds like there is something going on there so don`t waste any more time and see your doctor.