I have a small painful bump underneath the skin in my vaginal area. The entire area around the bump is red and a bit swollen. It is right near the crease of the outer labia. It hurts quite a bit. Just wondering what it might be. I've had it before and it goes away in about a week.

It could be your Bartholin gland that got infected. There are two Bartholin glands, situated at both side of vaginal opening. They are usually not noticeable and a person would never tell they are there. However, these glands may get infected and if that happens, they become very tender and painful, red and swollen.
It could also be a sebaceous gland or lets say a pimple. Sebaceous glands (oils glands) produce sebum that lubricates skin. When the ducts that bring sebum to the surface get blocked, sebum starts accumulating under the skin and it looks like a pimple that is hard to squeeze. If some bacteria get under the skin as well, the cysts get infected and become painful.
I reckon you should have it checked by a dermatologist rather that a gynecologist.
Don’t go if the bump’s not present. If it goes away, wait until it appears again and then make an appointment.