Hi, I am 19 and is sexually active with one partner. I have been diagnosed with a yeast infection today by a doctor and is having fever after the check up just now. I feel very weak and took paracetamol to relieve the fever. 3 days ago, my partner and I had sex and I felt a burning sensation right after that. It lasted me a day and the next day, I felt itchy all over the vagina. I thought it could be normal because it normally itch before my period comes but this time it's unbearable. I always find myself in discomfort and has been PMS-ing all week. Recently I have been under a lot of stress and pressure due to projects and finance. I have been going on days without sleeping and I thought that could be the reason why I was infected. Now that I think of it, could I have been infected long ago? However the doctor didn't mention if it is severe or not. I also did a test to see if I was pregnant and she confirmed that I am not (: she prescribed me with some pills to reduce itchyness (day and night) and a vagisil 1??? Some pill that I have to pop into my vagina for 7 nights. I have been reading a lot ever since I suspected myself of getting this yeast infection and checked my under there and it did give a white discharge. However these discharge are not seen on my underwear but I know it is in there! I have a few questions to ask regarding yeast infection and sincerely hope that someone is able to help me answer them! 1. Can I take paracetamol while on yeast infection to reduce my fever? Will it make the infection worse? 2. Could I be having fever due to the infection? 3. Will there be a delay in my period if I am diagnosed with yeast infection? I know that one can get yeast infection before the period but what do you do? Do you wait till your period is over and take the medication or just start the course of medication asap? (Pls help!) I don't want to mess up during period. 4. My period is expected to come tomorrow so what do you suggest? Start the medication or wait? I wanted to wait for my period to be over but if yeast infection is going to delay it, I'm gonna start the course. 5. Will it cause my period to be delayed after/ during medication? 6. Why is my diacharge not coming out? It feels like it is stuck there?? A lot of times when it's itchy I will take a look under there and see if I can get some out. 7. Can periods flush the fungus out of your body? I had regular menstruation cramps (nasty ones that leave me crying for 2-3 hours) every month and I'm sure it normal right?? But this month, I do not feel like I am going to get the cramps but my breast is tender. Was just wondering if I could have been infected long ago but did not notice? And if I got infected by my partner? We are each other's first so I guess it's probably me. I need to get over the infection asap as I will be flying soon. Hopefully someone can answer all my burning questions! Thanks in advance!!

Hello Sharkdashkid

Vaginal yeast infectionVaginal yeast infection is an infection of the vagina. It is most commonly due to the fungus Candida albicans.

Causes - Most women have a vaginal yeast infection at some time. Candida albicans is a common type of fungus. It is often found in small amounts in the vagina, mouth, digestive tract, and on the skin. Most of the time, it does not cause infection or symptoms.

Candida and the many other germs that normally live in the vagina keep each other in balance. However, sometimes the number of Candida increases, leading to a yeast infection.

This can happen if:   

You are taking antibiotics used to treat another infection. Antibiotics change the normal balance between germs in the vagina.   

You are pregnant   

You are obese   

You have diabetes

A yeast infection is not spread through sexual contact. However, some men will develop symptoms such as itching and a rash on the penis after having sexual contact with an infected partner.

Having many vaginal yeast infections may be a sign of other health problems. Other vaginal infections and discharges can be mistaken for a vaginal yeast infection.

Symptoms   

Abnormal vaginal discharge. Discharge can range from slightly watery, white discharge to thick, white, and chunky (like cottage cheese).   

Itching and burning of the vagina and labia   

Pain with intercourse   

Painful urination   

Redness and swelling of the skin just outside of the vagina (vulva)

Exams and Tests

You will have a pelvic exam. It may show:   

Swelling and redness of the skin of the vulva, in the vagina, and on the cervix   

Dry, white spots on the vaginal wall   

Cracks in the skin of the vulva.

A small amount of the vaginal discharge is examined using a microscope. This is called a wet mount and KOH test.

Sometimes, a culture is taken when the infection does not get better with treatment or comes back many times.

Your health care provider may order other tests to rule out other causes of your symptoms.

Treatment

Medicines to treat vaginal yeast infections are available as creams, ointments, vaginal tablets or suppositories. Most can be bought without needing to see your health care provider.

Treating yourself at home for yeast infection is probably OK if:   

Your symptoms are mild and you do not have pelvic pain or a fever   

This is not your first yeast infection and you have not had many yeast infections in the past   

You are not pregnant   

You are not worried about other sexually transmitted infections from recent sexual contact

Medicines you can buy yourself to treat a vaginal yeast infection are:   

Miconazole   

Clotrimazole   

Tioconazole   

Butoconazole

When using these medicines:   

Read the packages carefully and use them as directed.   

You will need to take the medicine for 1 - 7 days, depending on which medicine you buy. (If you do not get repeated infections, a 1-day medicine might work for you.)   

Do not stop using these medicines early because your symptoms are better. You doctor can also prescribe a pill that you only take by mouth once.

If your symptoms are worse or you get vaginal yeast infections often, you may need:    Medicine for up to 14 days   

Clotrimazole vaginal suppository or fluconazole pill every week to prevent new infections

To help prevent and treat vaginal discharge:   

Keep your genital area clean and dry. Avoid soap and rinse with water only. Sitting in a warm, but not hot, bath may help your symptoms.   

Avoid douching. Although many women feel cleaner if they douche after their period or intercourse, it may worsen vaginal discharge. Douching removes healthy bacteria lining the vagina that protect against infection.   

Eat yogurt with live cultures or take Lactobacillus acidophilus tablets when you are on antibiotics. This will help to prevent a yeast infection.   

Use condoms to avoid catching or spreading infections.   

Avoid using feminine hygiene sprays, fragrances, or powders in the genital area.   

Avoid wearing tight-fitting pants or shorts, which may cause irritation.   

Wear cotton underwear or cotton-crotch pantyhose. Avoid underwear made of silk or nylon, because they can increase sweating in the genital area, which can cause irritation.   

Use pads and not tampons.   

Keep your blood sugar levels under good control if you have diabetes.   

Avoid wearing wet bathing suits or exercise clothing for long periods of time. Wash sweaty or wet clothes after each use.

Outlook (Prognosis)

Most of the time, symptoms go away completely with proper treatment.

Possible Complications

A lot of scratching may cause the skin to crack, making you more likely to get a skin infection.

Repeat infections that occur right after treatment, or a yeast infection that does not respond well to treatment, may be an early sign of diabetes or rarely, HIV.

Yes, you need to start straight away. You can take ocassional paracetamol to relieve fever, but explaining this to your healthcareprovider will be good. Fever can be due to infection, yes. Vaginal suppositories can wait during periods, but oral medication can continue. Itching can get you in trouble, so don't. Good luck