I was recently diagnosed with syphilis, primary stage. I thought that it could never happen to me. I was very careful. I don’t know much about this STD. I can ask anybody, because I am only 17 and I haven’t told anyone that I have had sex. Please, I just what to know more about syphilis. I already started with therapy.

Syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease caused by Treponema pallidum. It can be transmitted during vaginal, anal, or oral sex. Syphilis, when it is not treated, progresses through four stages: primary, secondary, latent, and tertiary. Primary syphilis is marked by an infectious sore that resolves on its own and persons with syphilis are most infectious during the primary and secondary stages. It is good that you started with treatment because without, syphilis bacteria spread through the bloodstream and lead to the secondary stage, which is characterized by a skin rash and systemic symptoms