I have a friend who told me it is dangerous to have sexual intercourse nowadays. He said there are so many sexually transmitted diseases around we need to take care. He seems to be very serious, which made me worry. Last few days I have noticed I have swollen glands in my groin, and prolonged feverish feeling. Can you tell me any possible reason for these symptoms?

Your friend is definitely right, there are so many different STD’s out there. That is why we should be careful and use protection during sexual intercourse. If you had unprotected sex lately, and now you have these symptoms, I would recommend you to visit the doctor. Your symptoms look the most similar to symptoms of syphilis to me. During the first stage, you might notice a single small sore or ulcer is present on the vulva, although the anus can also be affected. There are usually swollen glands in the groin, and you might notice sore appears up to 12 weeks after contact with an infected person. It lasts for 6 weeks, and it can heal without any treatment. Second stage of syphilis is marked by healing of the sore. Second stage of syphilis occurs, two to six months after contact with an infected person. The symptoms are 'flu-like' with headache, feverish feeling, sore throat and swollen glands. I guess this is the most similar to your problem, so you might be infected by Treponema pallidum, organism that cause syphilis.