Hello! I have entered a relationship with a girl two weeks ago. We haven’t had intercourse yet, but I did perform an oral on her. Today she phoned me and told me she received tests from her gyno appointment as she reported having unprotected sex a couple of weeks before we met. The results came positive for syphilis. Now, all I know about syphilis is that it is nasty and that it may cause infertility. I am so anxious now; I just don’t know what to do. Is there anybody who could tell me what the symptoms are and if it is possible to get it through oral sex! Thx

Hi! There is a big possibility that you have been infected because this disease is transmitted via oral, anal, and vaginal sex. You are right, it is nasty and you should be checked straight away. The development of syphilis occurs in four stages. Luckily, you know the time of your exposure. Early symptoms are visible after 2-4 weeks after the exposure, so you won’t probably experience any of them now. Syphilis is caused by the bacterium Treponema pallidum. If not treated, it may spread through the whole body. Without proper antibiotic treatment, the disease can cause heart disease, dementia, blindness, paralysis, and death.