I have experienced constant tailbone pain for almost 3 years. There is a tender swollen area above the tailbone, so I suspect this stems from a fall from the skates where my tailbone hit the corner of a concrete step. The pain was unbelievable and I went to the emergency room right away, but X-rays did not reveal any damage. I have been to several doctors but cannot find anyone who can tell me why I'm hurting.

The tailbone or coccyx attaches to the sacrum via the sacrococcygeal ligaments therefore when ligaments are injured as they more likely were during your fall the joint they support has excessive movement. And this excessive movement places additional strains on the injured ligaments. Whenever a joint is swollen from trauma, there is a high probability of ligament injury and ligament injuries do not show up on x-ray. I think that the treatment to repair injured ligaments is Prolotherapy. Prolotherapy involves injections, but an anesthetic cream can be put on the skin to help take away any discomfort of the procedure. I know this because I injured my ligaments several times.