Hi, so I have fairly prominent nasal-labial fold lines AKA laugh lines. I'm only 27 yo, too young really for surgical intervention (!?) but it really crushes me to look older... so I've been looking around for fillers and stuff, and getting conflicting information. Like some say that you get injections directly into the lines themselves and others say they target the cheeks instead to make the lines go away. I'm not sure what to do at this point and am scared to see a plastic surgeon until I know what I want for sure... don't want to be talked into procedures I don't need or that won't benefit me. 

Help, please? Anyone with experience getting rid of nasal-labial fold lines and how did you do it?

Hiya,

You're not too young for fillers. Plenty of people get fillers at your age, they do. My question would be, are the lines really quite visible when you're in rest, so not actively smiling, or are they much worse when you do smile? In the second case I would not worry. In the first, yeah, I think I'd make an appointment. I'm a few years older than you and I don't have those lines when resting. If my gran and mum are anything to go by, I already know I'll get frown lines that will make me look angry all the time later on. I'm all for hands-off stuff, but who wants to look angry all the time, right? So yeah, if it came to it, hyaluronic acid fillers are pretty safe and give great but temporary results. That is what I would be looking into.

Yes, the lines are visible when I am not smiling as well. I have to be honest and say that the way I look is affecting my confidence a lot. I am already using high end anti-wrinkle creams and though I hope that they are helping some, the nasal-labial fold lines are not budging. So fillers it is then? Do you have any idea which fillers are best for these lines? If you do, or if someone else does, I would appreciate some more advice.

Celebrity

Natural tips to get rid of, or at least not increase, nasolabial fold lines:

• Stop smoking if you are a smoker, as this really, really contributes to nasolabial fold lines. 
  • Always wear a sunscreen, even in winter. 
  • Use a moisturizer with retinol.
  • You can always try some of those "face exercises" (see youtube) but I don't know if they really work.

Your more radical options are Restylane, botox, chemical peels of different types (such as TCA or phenol), laser treatment, dermabrasion, and even plastic surgery. Given your young age, some of the less invasive options should hold promise for you. You will not know until you make an appointment though, and you may well find that you benefit from seeing a dermatologist, who may be more likely to suggest less invasive options, rather than a plastic surgeon at least initially.

Rosie

Thanks. I'm not a smoker at the moment but I did smoke for seven years and I am sure that would have contributed to the nasal-labial fold lines as well. I don't use a sunscreen consistently, I'll say that. I do not believe those face exercises work. My aunt did that like 20 years ago, I remember, and she looked ridiculous and not any younger afterwards. I have heard about retinol. That is for acne, isn't it?

TCA peels are another thing I have seen mentioned quite a lot. Did you have any of these treatments yourself and if so could you share success/fail stories please?

I work with the public so my facial appearance is hugely important to the first impressions I make. Though I am only 38, night shifts have taken their toll and I had developed more wrinkles than I was comfortable with. I am fully considering more effective work in future, but for now, I was hoping to make my skin look less tired and wrinkled. I had a 20 % TCA peel done around six months back. No anesthesia was necessary but I did take the week off work. The after period is not for pain sensitive people! It hurt more than I was expecting. My face does look, "fresher" is probably the right word. There are fewer wrinkles. I am happy I had it done though I did not feel that way the first few days.
Hope that helps you.

I just had restylane fillers done in my lips and for the circles around my eyes. I'm really excited about the whole procedure right now, though I admit I was really scared in advance. It was not painful, the results will wear off eventually, and though I am still very swollen and sore right now I can't wait to see the final results the restylane will achieve. I think this is also a good option for laugh lines, so I am mentioning it on this thread in case you or someone else wants to consider this option for laugh lines.

Coming back to this thread, I have to say that I am starting to notice some lines on my face here and there too. Of course I'd rather they weren't there, but well, I have a bit of a baby face and I do like not looking like a kid. I'm going just a tiny grey as well. I've got Irish in my family and well, it's those hairs near my ears. Definitely gonna start dying my hair again! But anyways, yeah, I'm not up for fillers myself. That stuff scares me. Anyone want to discuss alternative options for younger looking skin?

I have them too. I am 35 and they're getting worse. I'm here because this came up when I was looking for general info on alternatives to surgery for these nasolabial fold lines. I too think I'm too young for that, that's more for my mother's generation. Fillers are quick and easy (though not cheap) and don't come with the same risks, so I am thinking about those now, but what bothers me is that the effects wear off, usually after six months, and then you're stuck with the same nasolabial fold lines you had before and perhaps even worse because you will have aged in the meantime. I would like something that lasts forever, basically. That doesn't exist anywhere outside of my dream world though, does it?

Though no cream can completely erase nasolabial fold lines, you could absolutely try to reduce them by using the right skincare products. There are multipeptide creams specifically designed to target these nasolabial folds that seem to have promising results. If I were you, I would look into those before considering fillers or even peels. You may in fact see such an improvement that you decide to hold off on those more invasive procedures until a little bit later in life. You're young, after all, and fillers, once you start, are something you will need to have over and over again to maintain the same results. Are you prepared to commit to that?

Also of interest to you may be some of the factors that contribute to the formation of premature nasolabial folds in the first place:

• People with more body fat, including on their face, seem to be more prone to developing premature nasolabial folds. 
  • Sun worshippers seem to be more prone to premature wrinkles in general. 
  • Smoking is another huge factor that contributes to premature wrinkles in this area. 
  • Genetics, unfortunately, play a role also: if your relatives lost their elasticity early on, you are more likely to experience premature wrinkles yourself. 
  • Nasolabial folds specifically seem to be more common in people with less prominent chins. 

Creams only ever reach the outer layers of your skin. They can work wonders if you are dealing with problems on those outer layers, such as acne for instance, but nasolabial folds are a much deeper and more systemic problem and no, creams did not help me at all. I opted for fillers in the end and although it is scary to be injected like that at first, I am so glad that I made that decision. I look 100 percent better now. Not approaching perfection :) but yes, I am happy that I chose fillers for my nasolabial folds. They're now all but dead!

You have two options for nasolabial fold lines, if you exclude the option of simply accepting that you have them and moving on, that is :).

1. Juvederm fillers are very promising for mild nasolabial folds. This is safe and can be reversed if you are not happy. It wears off after six to nine months.

2. Autologous fat grafts need to be harvested from some site on your body. They produce natural results that last much longer than Juvederm, however because it is still new and because you are dealing with your body's own tissues, the results are overall less predictable. This is more expensive and requires a longer recovery time, but it can even be permanent in some cases.

I suggest you book an appointment with a good plastic surgeon to see which is better for you.