Hello. I'm 22 year old female and I'm very interested to find out more about interactions between herbs and one drug I'm using almost two years. You see, like I said, two years ago, I was diagnosed with one mild form of asthma and my GP prescribed me this Theophylline drug.
Just the other day, I met the old friend from high school and I told her we should grab a coffee. While we were sitting and drinking, I've mentioned this disease I've diagnosed with and she was shocked. Being a medical student, she told me that I should never drink coffee and drink Theophylline because some bad side effects could occur. Is there anything I should know about these interactions between some herbs and this Theophylline?

Well, definitely, your friend was completely right, but I think she’s dramatizing too much. I don’t know a lot about this but I know that drinking one coffee will not jeopardize your life, that’s for sure.
I've been searching around for more information about this and listen what have found. This Theophylline, you are using, contains xanthines, which are also found in tea, coffee, chocolate, and other sources of caffeine. So, if you are taking large amounts of these substances you could cause over doze effects. There was also some study about interactions of this drug and piperine, substance that can be found in black pepper- so you could avoid it in future.
The same thing is also with this herb called St. John’s Wort.