Hi, I am a 26 year old female in need of help. My whole life I have been an emotional person, but it wasn't until about the age of 19 when I went on birth control pills where I became even more emotional than before. I am one of those that cry at weddings, whether on TV or actually attending one.  When I see someone cry, it makes me wants to cry.  Just now, my boyfriend told me his grandmother was proud of me for getting into nursing school and it made me want to cry, and I can only imagine how much I would have wanted to cry if she told me that personally.  I want to cry when I see someone who I haven't seen in a long while, or even just meet someone in general! I cry over the strangest things that should have no emotion attached to it or for any reason for crying. I want to somehow treat this situation because when I get married in the near future, I do not want to be that bride with messed up make-up and looking like c**p cause I've been crying before I even walk down that aisle. I am the only person in the family that is like this. I was considering hypnosis but I don't know if that would be a good alternative. If anyone can help me with this situation I would greatly appreciate it.

You sound completely normal!  It's okay to be emotional.  The things you cry over sound like you're a very grateful and compassionate person.  

You cry when other people cry?  It's because you're caring and compassionate!  You're showing sympathy and love.  If ever you feel negative over that, say to yourself this old Swedish proverb: "Shared joy is double joy.  Shared sorrow is half sorrow."  Remember that when you cry with others you're helping them.  And please take my advice: Never feel bad for showing compassion towards others.

You cry when people demonstrate how proud they are of you?  You cry at happy occasions?  Because you're a grateful and, again, compassionate person!  Some people shrug off words of encouragement and pride.  I prefer people who demonstrate how happy they are, even through tears. ;)  It's make it much easier to give people compliments when they show gratitude in response.

It's no surprise that you're more emotional after taking birth control pills.  Hormonal birth control can mess with a woman's hormones and mimic pregnancy, such as heightened emotion.  If this concerns you, you can talk to your doctor about switching to non-hormonal birth control such as condoms, a diaphragm, or an IUD.

My guess is that you're embarrassed about your emotional displays.  I don't think you would be if you approved of your behavior.  So instead of trying to change the behavior, try changing your perception of it.  Say to yourself, "I love and approve of myself.  It's okay to cry.  It's okay to cry because I am compassionate.  It's okay to cry because I am grateful."

I hope this helps.  Best of luck!