Hi, I have a very emotional 11-year-old boy. He often gets hurt by his older brother. So, he is overly emotional and cries a lot. How can we prevent this happening?

Hi, it is not a rare case that one child usually older, abuses the younger child. The fact is that every child is different, and it depends a lot on the personality of the child how does it react in some problematic situation. You can try to make conditions, so your child can overcome his problems and not become weak person. Violence between children must stop right away. It is important not to pay attention to children’s cry and make it look like as it is not important. Many parents fulfill all wishes of their children and find it necessary to do so. But, remember that a child can’t have it’s own opinion, as it learns from it’s surrounding.

The little one's cries should not be ignored. You need to talk to the older boy and try to understand his reasons for hurting his younger brother. Yes, it is common for the older sibling to, at times, abuse the younger one. On the flip side, there are families out there who do not have this issue. It is important to understand why he does this so you can accurately correct the problem.

Secondly, the little one needs to be taught how to deal with bullies. I believe adults sometimes forget what being a child is like, and the absence of important knowledge that adults have taken for granted for years. A child's cries should not be ignored if they are due to an emotional imbalance or physical or mental pain. Doing so is an adult game that should not be played with kids. Only a child's cries over not getting what they want should be ignored.

Kids should be entitled to their opinion and it should be heard by the parent and collaborated among the 2 weather the child's idea is permissible or not, and if it is not, it should be explained firmly, and only once. The parent should make the child feel important and respected. It is possible to do this without giving the child what they want, just because they want it.

My father passed away 8 years ago, my mother is a single parent.

I am 23 and I have a brother who is 10. We hang out a lot, I have helped him with everything from dealing with bullies to skateboarding to the little girl in his class that he likes. When he was younger he was extremely emotional, he has come a long way but sometimes he cries about stuff because he is just a kid. When this happens I don't mind giving a hug and letting him express his feelings.

At the same time I keep a straight face and do not become emotional with him. He knows that he won't get what he wants just because he wants it, and he knows I won't tell him what he wants to hear just because he wants to hear it. Instead, I am logical and direct, I do not hesitate to get to the point. Instead of giving him a solution, I try to help him find one, this is what usually gets the best solution anyways.

I notice he watches how I deal with disappointment and frustration along with all kinds of pain and he seems to do the exact same. This is why it is critical for the older sibling and the parents to pay attention to the way they act and how they treat the child.

I try to teach him that the only person who has control over his feelings is him.

This is a tough lesson and is also hard to teach at times.

In his subconscience, I am his hero, and if I were to hurt him, it would break his heart. Children need their family for support as school can be tough enough as it is. This is why I would say, it's most important to first address the bullying issue with the older sibling and then talk to the little one about his feelings and emotional issues and try to understand the root cause of this.

I look back on grade school and say wow I could kick ass there now. But honestly when I was there as a kid it was like a corporate job interview...just scarier because I did not know the things I do now.

I am not sure what else to say because I cannot see the situation with my own eyes. However I wish you the best with your 11 year old and hope I have helped.

Cheers!

- Mike

I kno how you feel it happens between my 11 year old and 8 years old. The more the younger one reacts the more the other one pushes their buttons. The thing which I try to do except in extreme cases is ignore the younger ones cries. I know this is hard and doesn't always work. But if it is just little annoyances that is causing the crying then try this. Or the other thing is to seperate them into different rooms and try to spend equal time with both.

I am 47 yrs old, but i was the younger sibling who got treated badly by an older sister (by 3 yrs) it has affected me my entire life, you must stop the poor treatment of the younger by the older , for their future mental well being. !