Hello, I am a 15 female teenager and I absolutely hate being over emotional. I have been this way all my life and continously have to warn people about my emotions. To fully understand myself, I sit one down and take about an hour to explain that being emotional is who I am, and everytime I explain it, I cry. I cry over the smallest things, get upset over the littlest actions and get ticked off for no apparant reasoning. I can admit i have low self-esteem and I can admit that I hate it. I do tend to over think things, and they make me cry because I get wrong thoughts in my head, but i can not help it, it is who I am. My friends however know to stay away from my emotional side but still even though it does help, I want out of it. Being emotional effects those around me, especially the one I love, seeing him upset from me being upset makes it 10x worse. I explained to him that when i get upset for no reason, do not be sad, that I can not help it. Another thing is i feel really low about my self, for example, today I got really upset at my boyfriend for telling his friend the name to the novel I am writing, and I was really mad at this boy for rubbing it in my face. I was over emotional about it and everyone was appeared to give up because I am just too emotional. Please can you help me and give me tips on how to cure this ?

You have the classic symptoms of hysteria, now known as conversion disorder. Since your emotional excesses are triggered by your interaction with other people, I think solitude would be the cure for your condition. Set aside a block of time every day when you will be alone all by yourself. You can perform physical exercises, read or just sit around doing nothing during that time.

Thank you, that helps me knowing more about it but the thing is I do get time alone daily; not completely. From about 6pm until 8pm I am in my room, usually on my laptop listening to music and talking on instant messenger, occasionally leaving my room to get a drink or something to munch on. Do you think that i should keep my alone time but make it so I have some time where I am not doing anything at all ?

i'm 19 and i am going through this same thing. what should i do? spending time alone is not helping.

I have the same thing! I cry over nothing but i also feel lonely when im alone

I'm over emotional too. I cried easily. Get so excited easily, but more too sad things. Anyone here so over emotional wants to be my friend? I'm ivan, 18 years old. I have yahoo messenger : i_fun7
please add me up. :-) We can share stories.

Hey there
People will rush to tell you that you have some medical disorder,the truth is that you have a slight dilusional disorder,,you said that you are emotional thats, who you are,,thats simply not true,,thats what your ego is identifying with,,so it has to bring about that experience in the external world to validate itself..you are not your thoughts or emotions,,you are a spiritual being having a human experience,,thats all this ride is ,,and the more you identify with the external world and the people in it, the more insecure you will feel..hence low self esteem,self worth etc..you need to take a step back from your thoughts and you will see that you are not them,,you are something totally seperate,,when you feel things coming up in you ,,just step back and look at it for what it is ,,then just let it go,,you are a small part of the whole picture and you are connected to it all,,like i said the more you identify with your thoughts feelings and external things you will struggle to grow as a person and overcome these things,,you need not add anything to your self to feel whole you already are ,,what you have to do is remove the things that are blocking you from experiencing life as it should be ,,good luck buddy ..you are worth it !!

My understanding is that there is a part the brain that deals with emotions. Overly emotional people have higher than normal activity in this area. This means you experience sadness, happiness, disgust, love, excited and all other feelings associated with emotions to more of an extreme. About 1 in 5 people are this way and does include men. How you express or internalize this is what is different about these types of people. My wife and some of my employees exhibit this type of behavior. So I have spent time educating myself, observing and even treating this. Its normal to be this way but what I have found is the people who have a problem with this are the ones who have negative self-talk or a negative self-image of themselves. The main problem with overly emotional people, although they can be exciting and fun people to be with, they also make decisions and make assumptions with their emotions. This leads to bad decisions and wrong assumptions that are not based on logic. This wears on other people who can’t handle these negative people who think everybody is out to get them and usually have few friends or can’t seem to keep friends long term.
The treatments I have found for this are:
Neurofeedback – This can help bring that over activity to a normal level – Used this on my wife, myself and an employee and does help.
Antianxiety medications - Helps level out this area of the brain. - This is an assumption base on what I have read and observation of how it affects people who have been on these types of medication.
Counseling – A therapist can help you with these negative feeling and help turn them to more positive ones.
Self-help - If your motivated to change, there are books and audio books that can help. Recommend reading “How to make friends and influence people” by Dale Carnegie. Oldie but goodie.
Hormone therapy - Have read that an imbalance of hormones can cause this also.
Hope this helps.

I know, I'm like that too, and have been all my life. Now, girls who I considered my 'friends' are dissing me behind my back and my whole class acts like I'm invisible/disgusting. Don't worry, it's totally normal. What I'm trying is to do is control my emotions. Pretend you're acting a role, where you're supposed to be good and meek. Stay in the role at school all day, only slightly release your emotions when you're at home. I think it's working for me, hope it works for you as well :)

You're probably overwhelmed by life in general. I used to get that way when I was young and I would say exhaustion and low self-esteem were the main culprits. Therefore, work to take care of those two things.

The most important thing to do is to learn to love yourself. First off, don't beat yourself up for getting emotional. Every time you do, tell yourself, "It's okay I'm feeling this way. Just breathe and remember it's temporary."

I also think you should say affirmations to yourself every day. Say out loud to yourself, "I love and approve of myself." Say this at least ten times, but say it as much as you can. Say it in your head throughout the day. Say it hundreds of times a day. Don't think that's too much. After all, how much time to do you give to negative thoughts? Probably hundreds of thoughts a day. So give positive thoughts a chance too.

You can add other affirmations, such as, "It is okay to have emotions." "I radiate positivity and love." "My thoughts are peaceful, calm, and centered."

This may seem weird at first, but believe me, after I did it it helped a tremendous amount. Now when I say to myself, "I love and approve of myself," I really believe it. Give these affirmations a shot.

The next thing I suggest is to take time out every day to relax. People just do not relax enough. We often thing we have to work, work, work and that taking time out to unwind and take care of ourselves is selfish. This is simply not true. Relaxation is healthy and self-loving.

Every day, for at least 15 minutes, do a relaxing activity. Try meditation and/or yoga. If there are favorite activities, like singing or playing the piano, you can do that. You can read a relaxing book or watch a funny movie. A hot bath is always fantastic. Anything that relaxes you and gets those important endorphins going. Write a list of all the activities you can do and do whichever one you feel is best for you that day.

I really think doing these things will help you. Best of luck!

Hi. I think you need some really good friends to help you overcome strong emotions.

yea i think this is the best way to stay away from emotions...i was lyk dat(very emotional for 5 yrs now and i dont have many friends from my class..even though i meet them they think iam crazy and just pass away..and i had 2 very close friends but after seeing my emotional drama for 4yrs they came to a conclusion that iam a drama queen and crazy....:)..it is ok with me what ever they think..but not only these ppl.my family members also say that iam a crazy girl...but i jus dont take it in a negative way...try to think that u are jus emotional and lovely from heart that you dont want to hide any feelings in heart..and u are open and honest of everything..and jus give sumtym for urself daily..analyse evrything...control ur thoughts..control how u shud behave..and stop crying for evry small thing..even though u are true,ppl dnt care and dont believe it..u may loose ur friends.....everyone gets fed up with ur tears..soo start being funny..taking things light..never take small things to heart..give ur heart some work to think before u get hurt and mess up evrythng......(.lyk me.:))jus think before you react..because it"s for ur own gud only......jus think before reacting....and start mingling with as many people as possible..soo that u can learn hw to hide ur emotions..bcoz everyone gets hurt but most of them hide..u can understand that evryone has same felings as us but y dont they behave lyk us??then u will get a sol..that u need to change..and learn from such ppl...

Hoseclamps. I am not sure why you would suggest isolation, that can lead to alienation and antisocial anxiety. Her issues need to be addressed as to why this over emotionality is occurring, and various psychotherapeutic orientations can address it. I would say not to be alone, but to seek some type of counseling, and if that is a challenge, then a community counselor/psychiatrist may prescribe a medication to relieve these symptoms.

The most important thing to do Prontitkor, is to acknowledge that you are an emotional person. The worst thing you can do is to judge yourself, and say to yourself that you have a problem. It behooves us all to accept the things that are going on inside us, to acknowledge these emotions, these thoughts, and not, G-d forbid, to get anxious about them, attempt to deny them or manipulate them, suppress them, control them, etc. etc. Given the other advice about being alone, yes, it may be a good thing to set a time with yourself, perhaps at 8:00pm for 10 minutes and perhaps incrementally increase it over time. Choose a special place, that is easy to get to. Perhaps a spot. In that space, you will create a time for yourself to acknowledge all that is going on with you. To talk with yourself, or rather, for you to communicate with your Self, your true Self. It is your true Self that is perceiving some imbalance that is occurring in other parts of your self. And honestly, at the end of the day, it is only your magnificent true Self that will guide you to the vibrant fountain of health and well-being, and not any body else...

I am 13 old boy and i also have problems like this i get very angry or cry when something annoys me but i sometimes get really excited and have this jolt of energy thru my body. Its hard to explain