Every night, for the last week and a half or so, when I'm just about ready to hit the bed and get some sleep my throat decides that is when it's going to suddenly feel dry and like it's tightening or closing up on me. No amount of water I drink will help with the dry feeling and I've no idea what's causing my throat to feel as if it's swelling. It seems to last for an hour or so and then it's starts to feel itchy and suddenly it's gone. Anyone know what this could be? Anyone go through something similar?

I'm not sure if this is related to the problem but I have tonsil stones (or tonsilliths.) I started noticing them when I was in elementary school but they've only bugged me more recently (I'm 24) showing up more and aggravating the back of my throat. I've also been catching colds on a weekly to bi-weekly basis.

I know I should see a doctor but I can't exactly afford that right now ... ... ...