I've had this really sharp pain on the right side in the back of my throat for at least 3-4 days now. It's at its worst in the morning when I wake up. I can hardly swallow. It gets better throughout the day but it feels like something really sharp is slicing just that one side of my throat. I'm scared because I'm hoping I don't need my tonsils out. I've been sucking on Halls all day but have no idea how to remedy this! Someone please help

I was just looking for information on this myself. I have had the problem for about 4-5 days. It has never happened before. Do you have any other symptoms? I have had some sort of illness since last Thursday 1/11. I have had headaches and feverish chills off and on. I took a steady supply of sudafed 12 hour and ibuprofen during that time.

As I inspect my throat with a flashlight through the mirror, it appears that I have some sort of cyst-like canker sore (whitish in color at the tip) right on the back of my my throat brushing against my tongue. I also have more pain in the morning and extremely dry mouth.

Towards the left handside of my throat, when my throat is feeling dry (ie- i havent swallowed enough, or drunk enough) there feels like there is something sharp'ish there when i swallow. But thru the day after eating, drinking etc etc it feels fine. I feel it more in the evenings. At 1st i wondered if i had scratched it somehow eith a chip or something, but if thats the case, it hasnt healed-even after a week or so.

How is your throat now?

Yah...same thing...when i havent eaten or drink anything i have this sharp feeling in the back of my throat.....feels like....something sharp got stuck.....anyone know whats going on?

I dont like this, i'd rather have a gash in my leg, my dad says this is a allergy recaction when this has never happend in my life of allergys. i ttok some allergy medication to try to make it stop if it gets worse im gonna take some pain killers.

I have been feeling the same sensation of something sharp stuck in my throat. The back of my throat has been red for a couple of weeks (probably allergies). Has anyone spoken to a Dr. about this. I also seem to be having some acid reflux.

I am feeling the same and have been to few doctors, they give antibiotics, which helps temporarily but again it comes back..Anyone please suggest !!!!

The sharp pain in your throat is most likely an infection. I get them when I have a sinus infection with post nasal drip (mucus dripping down from the back of my sinuses). It can also be the warning signs of strep throat. The pain is from a sore or blister. Antibiotics are the best treatment, but also citric acid: try gargling some lemon juice...it'll sting like a buggar but will help kill the bacteria.

I also have sharp pains in my throat. It feels like a splinter or a needle poking me in the back of my throat. It's staring to get kind of annoying. i have been feeling this in my throat for 4 days. My right tonsil is swollen and I have white c**p at the back of my throat all over my right tonsil and a little bit on the left side. The white suff is also up in my sinuses. It always feels like I'm swallowing hard stuff . When I go to bed at night i find it hard to swallow and breath because of the swollen tonsil blocking my air way. I have been drinking a lot of water to make the feeling of getting poked to go away but it doesn't seem to help. I also am taking a pain killer to help with the soreness. It help but then it comes back. Is this stuff contagious? I hope not because I have kissed my bf many times. I hope he doesn't get sick. I did some research and people keep saying that the white stuff is just food build up and to not worry about it. Someone also said to drink acidic juices like orange juice or grapefruit juice to help kill the bacteria...someone else said that the bacteria hates oxygen and to gargle peroxide. I don't know about you but I don't fell safe gargling peroxide. Someone else said to gargle salt water. Does anyone know how to get rid of the poking feeling in the back of my thorat. I would appriciate it very much.

I am dying from the pain right now! I don't know why the right side of my throat is hurting I had my toncils taken out 2 years ago from getting so much infections. Does anyone know what could be wrong with me? I get worse at night, and feel a little weird in my right ear also. If anyone knows of any thing to help the pain please let me know.

so glad to find this topic...
frikkin cant imagine the sleepless painfull nights i've been through. Just cant breath and cant swallow. takes like 20seconds of preparing to swallow down that mouth of water with painkiller..
so bad at night and in the morning...supersharp pains...
not really any answers here, but i am glad others have been down this road...
taking antibiotics...
...lemonteas...
salt.....
been a week now of horrible nights..and whiteness in back of throat....half sweaty....my voice sounds different in a negative way...
and my girlfriend doesnt trust it so leaves me alone in my bed at night...which is fine cuz I wouldnt recomend this to anyone really....
take care
H

bacterial infection - go to a doctor and get a prescription of antibiotics. meanwhile, gargle salt and water

just a little sharp pain in back of my thr; i wntto the doctor and he could not determine if tonsils were the issue; have to see a troat person fo that; but he gve m nose sinus spray and just some antibiotics; bu is still there;. Infection can occur causing tonsil stones; It's just a bacterial infection. Hopefully it goes away without me having to ge my tonsils out. I heard it's very painful. and it's also good to keep your tonsils.

later guys

exactly the same problem here...throat infection and sharp pains......about a week to 10day course of antibiotics are the answer.....second time ive had it and all you can rly do until the antibiotics fight it off is struggle through on painkillers and gargling salt water.
good luck and keep trucking soldiers x

I am having sharp pains in the left side if my throat almost in the neck area this has happened a couple times in the past two weeks what is it? It feels like a needle poking the inside of my throat? Could it be cancer or something serious? I kinda remember it feeling like this when i had strep throat but this has been like this two separate days out of two weeks so what is it?