I have had this throbbing pain in my neck just under my jawline on the right side come and go for a few years now. I have asked the doctor's about this before, but of course I'm never having the pain when I go in and they never seem too concerned about it. It usually lasts a few hours and doesn't return for a few months. When I have it, the pain pulses to the beat of my heart. Its pretty painful and very scary, could this be a symptom for something serious?

Me too!
My throbbing is in the hollow at the base of my throat between the collarbones. The pulsating starts there then starts and it goes into the back of my neck, my back teeth and into my head...as you say, the pain throbs to the beat of my heart...but my heart seems to beating normally. The sensation lasts for just a few minutes but each time it seems to be more acute and lasts a little longer. I am in my second month of this, and havent seen a doctor about it yet. I hope someone out there can come up with a simple diagnosis.
I gave up smoking about 6 mths ago in the hope it would relieve my heartburn....but it didnt....I do wonder however, if the throat thing is in any way related to heartburn....and are they both related to stress and anxiety. This has been suggested to me..but I don't feel overly anxious...except when I'm having an attack of this throat throbbing thing...and then I feel as if I'm going to die.
Good luck
Michelle