I am experiencing a very strong heartbeat in my throat (pulses with heartbeat) and lasts for days and then subsides to bearable. Laying down to sleep starts it up all over again and causes me to break out in a sweat all over my neck and head (literally wet) and is now a continuous cycle at night. I was curious about whether or not chiropractic neck mobility technique could be responsible for this as it seems to be getting worse as I continue my treatment for a straight neck that was pinching off a nerve running down my right arm. I was told I lost 100% of the curvature of my neck and as I continue to have this problem corrected with my chiropractor the other pains have subsided but my neck feels like someone pushing on my throat all the time and I feel pressure in my head and behind my nose. I hear the pressure in my ears (especially at night lying down) Strangely enough I discovered I have very low blood pressure in conjunction with this treatment and am not sure whether this could be damaging (let alone serious) if he continues to work on my neck. I refuse to let him crack or adjust my neck - it is strictly an ART method and when I lay down he pushing my head and neck forward slowly from side to side as he pulls upwards while stretching. Can this cause the pulsing in my throat?? I cannot seem to get any answers from him as he just says it's probably a muscle spasm. It certainly is not because I just had four horrendous days of this continuous throbbing and am very very tired and weak - not to mention a constant feeling of vertigo. This all started about a month after my three a week visits, now going twice a week.

hey, had all similar symptons, started a week ago with extreme fatigue, migraine and an ability to stay awake and be a mum, then two days ago everytime i moved my head, walked fast or stood up, got the thumping pain in the back of my head and throat...in the end i tried a mixture of sudafed as I thought it was sinus, aspirin and some diazepam....I slept well but woke to the same horrific pain. :'(

I went to the doc in tears and demanded she helped me as I was unable to drive and could barely walk, she said my blood pressure (which is normally low) was dangeroulsy low, and that I had an ENT infection. She gave me a massive dose of penicillin and some co-codomal 500mg, which i take 8 a day, and its bearable now....but if I miss one painkiller...its back again. 8-|

If its not gone in ten days, its an MRI to check for obstructions in my arteries or something? But fingers crossed. The only other thing I am doing is puttinga headpad on my neck....but to be honest, the pain is enough to make someone puke.....Demand painkillers, and proper ones, until a diagnosis is made! ;-)

This sensation has been occurring during activities that require increased heart rate and exertion, and then upon relaxing, laying in bed to sleep, I will feel this very obvious pulsing in my throat that keeps me awake. Does anyone know what this is??

I had the exact same thing happen to me today in the gym. It felt just like having a pre anxiety attack. I’ve had anxiety attacks before and know them well.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I’ve also had ekgs (all ok) and have been on meds for anxiety before, so I again was concerned this morning.

The pulsation or throbbing is not painful but it’s hard enough that makes me want to cough, but I’m able to hold it in.

If you find out please let us know. I was wondering if I’m dehydrated since I haven’t had a whole lot of water lately.

I have had very similar experiences... has anyone had this resolved yet??  My issues started about a year ago with regular dizzy spells on and off but then six months ago I had a grey out which was terrifying at the time.  Since then I regularly experience the throat throbbing/pulsing linked with pressure in my head and dizziness/lightheadedness.  I am 39 years old and have always been very healthy aside from a regularly low blood pressure. My symptoms arent exactly painful, more debilitating than anything because while I am experiencing an episode, I can't do anything but lie down and hope for it to pass.  It is very scary though as it feels like I can pass out at any moment and oftentimes I have a hard time breathing. I have been for an MRI which showed as normal as well as an EKG also normal, I have been sent to a dizzy clinic to check for vertigo, the doctor doesn't believe it's that.. my next step is a neurologist.  This post is over a year old, so I am hoping some of you have had answers by now... if so, please let me know:)  thanks Karen

I have this and saw an array of doctors.  They believed me and sometimes could see the neck pulsing.  

5 months later, no solution and we are stumped.  Nice weather had me open my doors recently and I was surprised that that the fresh air coming in made me realize that my apartment smells like cigarettes.  I have allergies so I never smell it normally.  

I think I developed a severe allergy to my neighbor's seeping cigarette smoke! I run filters in my place anyway, but nothing reduces the harmful stuff in cigarette smoke (99% of filters only remove the smell).  So with the fresh air and a complaint to management (I live in nonsmoking apartments), that swelling/pulsing thing is WAY down...for the FIRST time!  I never felt it was an allergy at all- never red or itchy.  It caused dizziness, eustachian tubes closing (due to neck pressure), headaches, major brain fog and fatigue, high frequency tremors/buzzing feeling in jaw and hands, and was always worse laying down (too much pressure)!  I had other symptoms, too.  

These symptoms made docs consider everything from fungal sinus to clots, to heart failure, to brain herniations and swelling.  It's not confirmed that the secondhand smoke could be it, but I now put my money on it.  It makes sense...smashes your structures in your neck, closes your throat (I now have an epipen from the doc), and causes all of these symptoms!  I never had this reaction to smoke before, but you can develop this any time.

I hope this is helpful.  If I find anything else out, I'll try to spread the word, since it gets old reading symptoms with no solutions on all of these boards.   

It's a combination of a lot of things mainly smoking/eating bad foods/ lack of exercise. I had this FOR MONTHS. But thank God I made it thru. Doctors had no answer. Here is what I did. ALOT of water. Fiber Metamucil. Magnesium pills, fish oil pills, low dose aspirin , cardio exercise. QUIT SMOKING

do you smoke ? I seen an answer about smoking and weight gain.

did you gain weight in a short amount of time? Ive had significant weight gain in the last 8 months, and these symptoms started for me last night. and the head aches have not stopped since. my face feels like it is on fire too