I wonder if anyone can help. I have recently over the last week or so re-developed a painfull throbbing neck/throat. I had this about 18 months ago and it sort of went away on its own. It feels like someone has their hands round my neck and are squeezing. Paracetamol sort of calms it down but not for long. I am incredibly tired and feel quite weak after just working for a few hours and this is the same as it was the last time. When it happened before I thought I was just run down due to a relationship breakdown and moving house and changing job and also family loss within a period of 6 months, but this time there arent these factors, so I am worried! A friend said it might be glandular fever, but having read up on the internet it doesnt seem like that because its just my neck and round my ears that is sore - not my throat - it feels like my blood is too thick and cant get through the veins in my neck - you can actually see my neck veins pulsing in the mirror and its quite scary.

Id really appreciate some advice please!

I know you just posted this inquiry, but your description, including the previous life stresses, sounds so identical to my situation. I couldn't have described the feelings better than you did. I have no sore throat pain (unlike that stated in alot of the other emails put up) but this throbbing neck/gland thing is driving me crazy. For me, when I lie down all the pain/feelings go away. As soon as I get up and walk around I get this feeling like the skin on my neck/chin/ear area is being pulled down and is heavy/swollen. Then as the day wears on the pain gets worse, spreading to ears, teeth, neck, colar bones, head. I'm also pooped. I hope someone responds, I feel for you.

I have had and still have a throbbing in my neck-left side. I also am off balance and usually end up with a migraine. I have had this condition for almost a year. I have had an MRI and they don't see anything that would contribute to my symptons. I am tired and sick of it. I have been referred to Wake Forest Medical in Winston-Salem. HELP !

I've recently developed the exact same symptoms... I have yet to go to the doctor about it, however I will be shortly... do you find it a lot worse when lying down??? (or putting head upside down)... I have been getting bad headaches with mine as well.

Let me know if any of you have found out anything on this...

Have you been to the Doctor and found out anything more? I too have the same symptoms and have been to the Dr twice, and the best they can say is arthritis. I know this is not correct. I have taken muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatort today, and have had no releif of symptoms. I guess I am going back to Dr. and demanding more detailed examination and testing. I need an explanation.

Have you had your Thyroid checked?? I have similar symptoms (the throbbing in my neck and being tired and weak all the time) and I am in the process of tests, also it runs in my family. You should have a look into that especially since your neck is swelling! I hope you feel better soon.

I have a similar type of problem with a throbbing neck pain. Only on the left side, centered near the back corner of my jawbone but down my neck about an inch and a half.

I've actually had it for about 5 years. It comes and goes without any clear warning. It may stay for only a day or for over a month. It may disappear for a week or up to 5 months. There is no pattern or associations. I've had an MRI and other tests, but nothing at all shows up. I also have a reoccurring problem with dizziness. Not usually at the same time but they often closely follow one another. I do have intense sensation of muscle fatiuge along with the pain.

No swelling or redness. But the pain is a pulsing, extreamly intense pain. Like something is pinching and twisting in a small spot for about 20 seconds. Then it releases for a minute, then pain again. Movement or touch has no effect.

Nothing helps. No type of painkiller or muscle relaxant has any effect whatsoever.

Ooohhh, some of you sound just like me, particularly dobbiescot who has the 'skin being pulled down sensation' and ' like the blood in the head was too thick'. Mine has been a steadily worsening problem for 12years now. I'v had more scans, Mri's & Emg's than you can poke a stick at. Just recently was found to have very bad & obviously very long standing sinuses inflammation & fungal problem. Despite that being attended to (surgery) the strong pulsing, throbbing sensation in head, neck & body persists. I might say one would never know from looking at me there was any problem, yet it has turned my life upside down. For the record I'm also a perfectly rational, intelligent, common sense person and both myself and numerous doctors are non-plussed as to what is causing this long standing problem. Paths I have been down, and that some of you might like to explore for what ails you, because despite what might sound like similar symptoms, underlying problem could be different for each one, are:
a) If dizziness is present have your vestibular function checked, (inner ear/balance).
b) Consider possible developing aneurysm somewhere along major blood vessel, e.g. aorta. That can cause a pulsing sensation.
c) If bad pain in jaw is a real problem for you, think possible heart.

Mind you despite being checked for all of it I'm no further ahead, but your situation might be different.

It's interesting to hear that others are having similar symptoms to me. However, my sympoms are slightly different and my first experience was about 2 mths ago.

It starts as a pulsating in my lower throat - seems to be in that hollow little space where the collarbones meet, at the base of the throat...the pulsating becomes a painful throb and all the neck muscles start aching..it moves up into my mouth and all my back teeth ache and then my head starts throbbing. My first experience was a couple of months ago, while I was vacuuming stairs, so thought it might have been physical exertion..but it really alarmed me because it was so unusal...even though that first time, there were no headaches or teeth aching....and the sensation past as soon as I sat down. Then it started happening when I went for a walk...nothing too physical....and once again, as soon as I could sit down and relax the sensation past. More recently, when it happens it lasts longer....and hits me when I'm even just sitting down relaxing. It starts as a throb in my lower neck then moves up into my head. My ears never ache from it and it doesnt effect my eyes or nose or anything below my lower neck. The last time it happened, a couple of nights ago. I was sitting reading and it was so severe, I thought I would die. I tried putting my head down between my legs and that was worse. I tried lying down on the bed...no good. I got up and walked around, trying to take in deep breaths and after about 5 minutes of severe throbbing pain it started to subside, first in my teeth then my throat and left me with achy neck muscles and a mild headache at my temples. I took an aspirin and went to bed...and slept pretty well as I am unaccustomed to taking painkillers.
The following info might be relevent or irrevelant:
I have controlled hypertension ( I take medicine for it) but I don't think it has anything to do with blood pressure.
I have been suffering from heart burn for about a year...it seems to be worse when I'm stressed.
I gave up smoking about 6 months ago because I thought it might help my hearatburn, but it didnt.
My family accuse me of being a worryer...and they are probably right...but I dont have panic attacks and I have no problem relaxing.

If anyone can recognise my symptoms and advise me, I will be very grateful.
Michelle

I had all the same symptoms also. It was at a high stress time in my life. Thought it was that. Kept going away and coming back. Turned out it was a chemical problem. This was from a house that had termite treatment under it off gasing into the home. Still get the problem when I am around chemicals. Especially yard sprays and going into home depot and lowes as well as ace hardware. All of the chemicals for yards and home set it off. It is scary. A doctor perscribed a gargle called MILES it works to calm it down . It went away for a year and a half. Now it is back. You have to have a doctor perscribe it. Combination of predisone an antibiotic and I think bendryl and something else. very good.

MY PAIN STARTED ABOUT A YEAR AGO. I KNOW I HAVE SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS FOR DOCTORS TO DO TESTS LIKE, CHOLESTOROL, NUCLEAR STRESS TEST, THYRIOD (BECAUSE OF WEIGHT LOSS), ALL KINDS OF BLOODWORK BUT NO NECK X-RAY! IT'S A THROBBING IN MY NECK, UPPER CHEST, SHOULDERS, JAWS, AND EARS. ON DAYS IT GETS BAD I GET A HEADACHE AND SO SICK IT RUINS MY WORK AND MY HOME LIFE. I JUST HAVE TO LAY DOWN! MY KIDS.

I can also see my neck pulsing on both sides more on the right though. Could this be because of high blood pressure??(mine is really high.) I have had blood tests maybe something will show up in them???

Wow, I feel so good to have found so many people suffering from similar problems as myself. I wake up periodically for the past 5 years now in great pain with my neck glands throbbing (like a migraine in my neck) and major headache in the temple area with the throbbing sensation like blood difficultly pulsing up tomy head. I now have constant jaw pain as well. It definately acts up when I'm more stressed and think I may badly clench my teeth and suffer badly from reflux in which i take Nexium for. I quit smoking thinking it's cancer, paid for a private virtual physical, had mri's done and seen ENT's but no answers? I think it may be stress and don't discount the power of the mind, but boy It does hurt!

You all might have what my mother had a few years ago. It is called a bruit (pronounced brewee).

Blockage in a certain bend of the carotid arteries can build up slowly to the point that the part of the artery BEFORE the blockage begins to pulse strong enough to feel, see, cause pain.

My mom also said that it was driving her nuts ! Apparently, it is a feeling that the body says it just shouldn't be ! Like getting a catheter inserted into your penis. It may not actually hurt, but you want it stopped, now.

Bad news is that, of course, only surgery can correct a bruit. She had it on both sides (one more than the other) so she had the worst one done first and then the other one done 12 months later.

I can tell you that she seemed 20 years younger after the first surgery.

YOU MUST GET THIS CHECKED BECAUSE IT CAN KILL YOU --- INSTANTLY, AND AT ANY TIME, IF BOTH SIDES ARE INVOLVED.

We believe that my Grandmother died from it because she was always messing around with her neck, under her ear, and on only one side.
She would often tap on her neck (perhaps to counteract the pulsations ??).

Good luck !!!

HELLO I'VE HAD THIS THROBBING IN MY THROAT NOW FOR ABOUT 2 YRS , I WENT THROUGH DEPRESSTION AND ANXIERTY AND AT THE SAME TIME I WAS MOVING HOUSE,BUT THIS THROBBING IS REALLY SCARY ALL MY THROAT GOES TIGHT AND I HAVE ALOT OF UPPER BACK PAIN ASWEL. I GET THIS THROBBING CONSTANTLY AND IT GETS WORSE WHEN I HAVE A ALCHOLIC DRINK AND SO TIMES FEELS LIKE MY HEART SKIPS A BEAT SO IF ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS IS COULD THEY PLEASE REPLY