I grew up with a large nose that was pointy and it killed me day to day..the low self confidence..i would always worry what people would think about my nose.

In 2002, I finally decided to do something about it. I got rhinoplasty performed (reconstruction). When the packing was removed from my nose, I was happy because it was a night and day difference. I lived over 1 1/2 year with a nice looking nose, I started to attract alot more females but something killed me about it. It was still a bit pointy on one side. So in March of 2004, I decided a REVISION.

This was the biggest mistake of my life. The surgeon (Saeed Marefat)agreed to do a tip revision and make it less pointy. But wrong!! FOllowing surgery, My nose was so puffed and swollen that it looked like a nose on top of a nose. For 3 years he insisted that it was just swelling but it was indeed scar tissue. It never went down, my nose looked worst than my original nose at birth. It was so ugly and disgusting that I lived the next 4 years of my life indoors, anti-social, etc. Several steroid kellog shots later, it didnt do anything. The surgeon refused to do anything else about it when i talked to him in 2006.

In 2007, I went back to him because I just couldnt live like this. i told him that i had spoken to other surgeons (Ronald Perlman) and they would be willing to do a scar tissue removal surgery. Saeed Marefat (orginal doctor) agreed to do the surgery for the price of $2000 for the surgery plus hospital fees, it turned out to be over $4,000.

I had surgery in January of 2008, and after the splint and packing was removed, I wasnt so horrified this time around, it somewhat resembled my nose in 2002 (first surgery) and at this point that is all i cared about..atleast have it at the same level as my original nose. There was still some swelling (or scar tissue?) on the nose but the profile and front looked great and it looked as if it would go down. However, the scar tissue remained, and overtime it actually started to look a bit worse because other parts of the nose was no longer swollen, just the tip and it made it stand out. So in November of 2008, I went and saw Ronald Perlman.

My sister had her nose done by him so I trusted him and all the great feedback hes had, not to mention top doctors in the USA. I just had surgery last tuesday for scar revision, but ronald perlman also told me he wants to add a bit of cartilage around the tip so the tip doesnt look so big compared to the rest of my nose. I told him no, but he kept suggesting it that I finally took his word.

I got the packing removed today and OMG I feel like crying right now. Not that Ronald perlman did a bad job, but my nose looks very similar to my 1st revision, it is so swollen, and my nose no longer curves, it is just straight due to the cartilage he added. My nose doesnt look good at all right now, the tip is very ugly right now, bulbous and nostrols look like some jeepers creepers movie. The staff told me to wait it out because the swelling will go down (how many times do you think ive heard that before?).

Right now Im just so hurt and Im losing hope. What is so complex about my nose that they simply cant make it normal like my first surgery, why does it end up bulbous and scar tissue with fat tips. I am praying for the swelling to go down but if i dont see an improvement in 2 weeks, that means its scar tissue all over again and I just made my nose worse than my last surgery. ALthough Perlman did agree to take the cartilage back out whenever i want to (if it means right this minute). But what about the rest of my nose? it looks worse than my pervious surgery.
And the thing that sucks about scar tissue is that in the hot summers or wherever theses heat, the nose gets more bulbous and swollen, its like the nose changes shape everyday from ugly to uglier and back to ugly. Im so sick of this, does anyone know of a scar specialist? :-(

God Help me

You are definitely not alone, I had an almost similar journey, but nevertheless, you might want to check the website - drfpalmer.com/blog/rhinoplasty-101-part-three-healing-after-your-rhinoplasty/
I have heard homeopathy medicines have helped many similar patients, I'm myself trying them and awaiting the results.
Anyways, I haven't come across anything really substantial, but in case you come across a solution, please keep me posted. I'm not giving up so soon, so if I come across anything worth sharing, will keep u on it.

Thanks for the info sheena. Just an update, I had another surgery on January 8th of 2009 to remove the cartilage that was placed in my nose..well it wasnt really a surgery but more like a small incision inside to take the cartilage out. It was really painful and uncomfortable, even with the local anesthesia. Dr. Ronald Perlman put some tape on my nose afterwards because the nose was very swollen..and after 2+ weeks later, my nose has started to look a bit better but there is still alot of swelling. I keep my nose taped everyday and I think the tape is helping keep the swelling down.

I dont know for sure wether this swelling will ever go away as you can imagine what I have been through and seen in the past several years..much of those years the so called swelling never went down and I dont expect this one too either but all I can do is pray and hope for the best.

Im now overall just slightly over 1 month post op. There is still alot of swelling in the tip area. On occasion when I dont tape my nose, by night time or in the morning the nose starts to get a bit bulbous again. Im sure much of the shape is because of the tape holding the swelling down but I think with the swelling gone, those nose will look great. Its just a matter of if and when will it ever go down.

But Ill keep you posted.

Great to hear you are finally happy with the shape of your nose. I'm sure time would settle things a lot. Ideally doctors suggest to take Arnica Montana (homeopathic medicine) before and just after the surgery to minimize the scarring and swelling due to incissions. You might want to google "Rhinoplasty+Arnica+Montana".

I mostly experience constriction of nerves around the nose on exposure to heat, exertion, lack of sleep, eating something hot or spicy. I've contacted around 30-40 doctors just to get this one answer (including rhinoplasts, ENT surgens, skin specialists, homeopaths) but no luck. My homeopathy doctor has suggested me to go down to an ENT/plastic surgeon and getting an endoscopy done to rule in/rule out - scar tissue as the reason for swelling (more than swelling -it seems as if the skin is uneven, it looks more settled when my nerves feel less constricted). I'm going to a surgeon tomorrow and will give you updates on the results.

I even mailed Dr Palmer(the website I sent you) with all these questions, including the link of this page, but I'm still awaiting his response.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope to hear good news from your end once the tapering is taken off and the initial swelling subsides.

Thanks, Im not sure yet whether its swelling or scar tissue around my tip again. Id bet and say its scar tissue since it feels similar and Im sure its difficult to completely remove all the scar tissue in one surgery (I had very thick thick scar tissue..and lots of it).

I think I have been goign through something similar to what youve been through. Also, during heat, my nose looks so much worse and starts to swell up (or scar tissue expands or something). This is the main reason I decided to get scar revision twice because it didnt let me live normally. Everytime there was an outdoor activity during the summer or it was warm in the room..I would start to panic because I could feel my nose getting heavier with the swelling. keep in mind this continued for years after the surgeries.

Whatever is the reason for this, I dont know. Ive been told by both of my surgeons that the reason for the long healing time is because I have real thick skin (which doesnt make sense because I recently got thick skin, not during my first revision that ruined my nose).

Im keeping my nose taped for now, and will continue to for another 2 months or so or however long it takes for me to see an improvement. The right side of my nose has more swelling or scar tissue than my left side..this wasnt the case before.

I read the website of Dr.Palmer, I found out alot of things i didnt know. However, I dont recommend the massaging techniques he uses because they are not for everyone. When I had my first revision done, my doctor recommended me to massage my nose daily. I did that for 4 years and the only thing it did was make my nose more swollen for a period of days, and it didnt help any at all. I personally think, leave the nose alone and let it heal itself. All these manipulation techniques arent for everyone. Even during this past surgery, I massaged my nose gently and the swelling got alot worse and stayed that way for a few days untill it went back to the same amount that it was previously.

I will talk to my Surgeon about the Arnica Montana your talking about. I dont have any experience with it. I just want my nose to be normal again. Keep me posted.

And I also wish you a speedy recovery Sheena..hopefully you can also lead the normal life you want to live. Life feels so much better when you wake up, look in the mirror and everything is ok. And life is also better when your physically in good health.

I cannot agree more on the last post - it feels so good when you get up and look in the mirror and everything looks normal (at least that may be the best days when the swelling is lesser).

I went to my ENT surgeon and he told me I have stretched this a bit too far, he just told me to accept and live with the fact. He wasn't too positive about homeopathic medicines. He gave me a nasal spray for daily use, but that is more like temporary relief thingy. Nothing came out of the CT scan results, so I'm back to square one, but I'll keep on trying, because at the end of day, no matter how much you earn, how many good friends you have around, if you are not happy about yourself, nothing else can give real happiness.

Talking of heat and exertion, I have switched my job to a cooler place, just so that I may be able to live peacefully. I have almost not gone out in sun from last 4 yrs or more. Gyming for just 10-15 minutes everyday. Eating totally bland food for last 1 year. By the way did I mention, sleep is the best healer, the constriction is a lot better when you sleep for like 9-10 hours.

One question, I have for you - you said - "Thanks, Im not sure yet whether its swelling or scar tissue around my tip again. Id bet and say its scar tissue since it feels similar" - how can you make out the difference between swelling and scar tissue, I can just feel swelling or hard skin (chording like feeling - due to constriction of nerves). What exactly you feel which makes you sure it's scar tissue and not swelling?

This is Scarface85,

Speaking of getting a different job that is in cooler condition, I haven't been to work since December because Im afraid the swelling will get worse during the hot working conditions. Im currently looking for a different job..its funny how you did the same thing and I had been thinking the same thing every time i had surgery. But this time Im going to quit my job and find one that is in much cooler working conditions.

This morning my nose was very swollen after i took the tape off..however since it was cool in the house and outside..much of the puffiness went down a bit..and now i have it taped up again to get ready for the morning.

Im going to continue to tape the nose every night for another 2 months or so. I just hope that day when I can finally feel good about myself is near. Even if today my nose was back to normal, i will forget about my horrific past 5 years and Ill start all over and never ever get another surgery again!

hello just read your thread, why don't you both try 3mhz ultrasound therapy, its been known to breakdown scar tissue, and improve soft tissue recovery after injury, i had a similar experience due to a childhood injury to my nose, and the ultrasound really helped with softening the internal scar tissue, you can get portable units off ebay for around $80. hope this helps. :-D

Hadn't set an email alert to the response to the thread, hence didn't come across your response earlier. Great to read your response and would definitely give it a try. Went thru a couple of websites for ultrasound therapy and came across this information

Ultrasound is thought to accelerate the normal resolution time of the inflammatory process by attracting more mast cells to the site of injury. This may cause an increase in blood flow which can be beneficial in the sub-acute phase of tissue injury. As blood flow may be increased it is not advised to use ultrasound immediately after injury.

I think the basic reason of swelling is that whenever there is a rush of blood to nose tissue, the scar tissue inside the nose is incapable to drain the lymph that accompanies the blood

Quick question - Did heat in general(or anything that causes a rush of blood to face) aggravate your problem?
Did you go to physiotherapist or used the ultrasound devices e.g. (sonic relief) at home.

Hey Sheena,

Any updates on the ultrasound therapy? I just had another scar revision surgery, and although its an improvment, i still have the same swelling/scar tissue problem. It seems like its making an improvement, but not a huge one. I was thinking about giving this a try.

Hello! It has been 5 months since my second rhinoplasty surgery. It was a complete reconstruction as the original surgeon was so incompetent that I needed my skull cracked, bone from my head removed and grafted on to my nose which had been dangerously thinned. Even worse I had a fat, very round/bulbous tip which was ALL scar tissue. It was a 4 hour surgery, and the second 2 hours was dedicated just to cutting off and shaping the scar tissue (which is really difficult to shape)

You guys who are posting about being upset and devatstated a month, week or even ONE DAY after having your packing removed are all insane and ill-informed. The swelling after rhinoplasty can take up to 12 months to fully settle and you wont even get an idea of the final shape of the nose till at LEAST 4 months post surgery. So you need to calm down and be patient

Thirdly, make sure that if possible, any surgery designed to removed scar tissue is done as a closed operation, not open (which means the surgeon goes through your nostrils instead of cutting nostril to nostril and lifting the skin.) Scar tissue evolves normally from failure to re-attach the skin, so if a dr isnt very good no matter how many times u go back and get the scars cut off they will form again if the skin is not reattached properly.

The first surgeon's incompetence created SO much scar tissue that I have to now have a third op, by the same dr who did my second, to get all of the scar tissue out and create a nicer tip. In a month though we are going to do steroid injections and see if they help in dissolving the scar tissue. X

Any word on how 3mhz ultrasound therapy is working. I have to same stories as you guys. My life is consumed tring to get rid of the swelling from a rhino surgery 8 years ago.

It takes up to year for most of the swelling to go down I have no idea why doctors say 80 percent does down in the first three months sure a lot of the swelling does down during this time but the nose is completely settled different people heal in different ways. I've heard of two years as being the time when all swelling does down entirely. I feel SO sad hearing about all the botched nose jobs, plus having to pay more that seems unfair to me . My suggestion is do you research. be patient , be cautious think carefully, stick to what you want not what your doctor wants for you, they are not beauty experts. Be informed ask the right questions, If you want your nose shortened ask them if they can do that too at the time of the surgery as opposed to them mentioning it AFTER SURGERY ! Find a doctor that listens and has years of honing his surgery skills . I think it best to surf the web and find people who have a face shape and features as close to yours and look at their nose to see if it will look good. That whole simulation thing they do at the doctors office I'm unsure about because of variables ....
'

I'm not exaggerating, I've had 10 nasal reconstructions since 1982. In 1990, after 6 nasal surgeries, my nose basically collapsed and I looked disfigured. I had reconstruction done by Dr. Craig Foster (best known for reconstructing the Central Park jogger's face after she was raped and brutally beaten by 5 guys). A proplast implant was inserted in my nose. The results were fantastic. In 2008 (18 years later), I started experiencing horrific headaches and could not breathe out of the nose. I went back to Dr. Foster and he informed me that the valve had collapsed on one side and that he could make perform a small revision. Now I know what hell feels like, I ended up with a massive infection losing half of my nose. The doctor believes that the Proplast implant became infected. To date, I've had four (4) reconstructions, numerous steroid injections and lots of tears. I'm not the same person anymore. I look so deformed. The infection caused permanent bruising on my nose which will require laser treatments. I was once an attractive, happy person. My biggest complaint is the massive scar tissue. The tip of my nose is so bulbous and it's starting to indent on one side. I'm 2 months post-op and I feel like jumping off a bridge. I hope to God that when all the swelling subsides, I'll be somewhat happy with my appearance.