My three-year-old son has recently started experiencing throat clearing fits. He does it frequently before falling asleep and right after waking up. It also happens sometimes while he's eating, and sometimes out of the blue. He sniffs and clears his throat in repeated succession.

I've read that this may be an early sign of asthma. Are there any other ear/nose/throat issues he could be experiencing? Should I go see his doctor or wait it out?

Thank you-

Hi there,
You must get him tested for Allergies and then see a specialist.
It would be asthma, or allergies or a combination of both.
Eitherway, you need to get treatment

GOOD LUCK

Quote:

[/size My three-year-old son has recently started experiencing throat clearing fits. He does it frequently before falling asleep and right after waking up. It also happens sometimes while he's eating, and sometimes out of the blue. He sniffs and clears his throat in repeated succession.

Hi I have struggled with similar problems for years.
First of all, is your child exposed to any second hand smoke? If so, get a goodquality air filter for the room that smoking is allowed along with one for your son's room. Sears seems to have one for under one hundred and fifty dollars that works well. It is not a Heppa and therefore does not require constant change of filters, just a simple wash down.
Further if there is carpet in your child's room remove it.
If your child is around animals the air cleaner should help.
Try and wash your child's bedding daily, and buy a humidifier for the room.
Make sure your child is not drinking dairy products at night. Encourage your child to drink watered down juice, or water after 6 p.m.
Consider asking your doctor for a child's allergy med to see if that helps.
Also consider using either an nasal allergy spray or a saline solution for the nostrils in case it is due to post nasal drip.
Try not to make a big deal out of this. Do not give your son a lot of positive attention during the throat clearing. Throat clearing can be related to stress. Instead try and read your child a good colourful child's book, or CD with kids songs or lullabys. Give your child a bath every night so that he has lots of additional moisture to reduce his need to clear a dry throat. Allow him to lick on a lollypop while you are getting him ready for bed, or a real fruit juice pop. Do not limit his liquid in the evening he will eventually toilet train when he is ready. Try your best not to stress about this. Kids pick up on our worry and the behaviour whether medical or emotional will get worse.
DO TAKE YOUR CHILD TO A DOCTOR, TAKE THIS NOTE WITH YOU IF YOU CAN AND SEE WHAT THE DOCTOR THINKS.
I HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL. I WILL KEEP YOUR CHILD IN MY PRAYERS AND PRAY THAT BOTH OF YOU WILL FIND THE ANSWERS AND LIFE WILL BECOME LESS STRESSFUL. :D :) :idea: PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT A MEDICAL DOCTOR, JUST A MOM AND EDUCATOR AND HAVE HAD SOME SIMILAR EXPERIENCES BOTH WITH MY OWN CHILD AND KINDERGARTEN CHILDREN. :? I HOPE YOU WILL WRITE AGAIN AND LET US KNOW IF ANY OF THIS WAS HELPFUL.

My daughter, who is four years old, rolls a lot at night, I mean an inordinate amount. She is not on any dairy, wheat or soy. We've had her tested and tested and cannot find any answers. Also, she is constantly swallowing at night and this makes it difficult for her to fall and stay asleep. This has been going on for a few years and is a nightmare for us. One thing we have noticed is that our daughter's swallowing problem seems to be worse in San Antonio Texas than in California. Anyone out there with advise for desperate parents? Thank you!

This sure sounds like acid reflux to me.