Hi, recently I suffered from fever. It made me cough a lot. However, I am still experiencing cough that wakes me up from my sleep and I am coughing up thick mucus. Sometimes, I experience bad smell coming out of my throat when I cough. I also feel as if something is always stuck in my throat. A friend of mine told me that his mother had the same symptoms and that she had a condition called chronic throat clearing. This situation is not bothering only me, but the people in my surrounding also. Do you know what could be happening to me?

Hi, the symptoms you have described direct me to conclusion that you suffer from Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR). This condition is a result of our stomach muscle weakness. You are aware that our stomach contains acid. At its entrance a band of muscles exist in order to stop the reflux of that acid in the throat. When these muscles do not work, the acid reflux is exactly what happens. The explanation for bad smell that you have when coughing could be the post nasal drip. However, this symptom may be a result not only of massive nasal drainage, but infections or LPR as well. I suggest you see a doctor and tell him about your chronic throat clearing and other symptoms and your suspicions of LPR. He will do all the necessary exams and prescribe you the best therapy to help you with your constant throat clearing.