Hi I just got my tonsils and adenoids taken out this morning. For those who like to know my age I'll be 15 in two weeks. My ENT doctor used the new coblation way to remove them. It's supposed to have less pain and faster recovory. I would definitely ask what method you are recieving. I read many posts on here that scared me but hearing how easy this was going to be helped. A lot. There aren't many posts about recovery from a certain method of tonsillectomy or adenoidectomy. Now onto my actual surgery. I have never been put to sleep or gotten an I.V until this morning. For pre-op, I changed into the gown. (girls you can't wear a bra but you can underwear!!) Then the nurse gave me a shot in the backside. I've gotten one before for strep so I knew what to expect. Then the I.V. started and it really hurt. The vein had rejected it and she took it out when I told her it stung. You HAVE to tell them if any is uncomfortable. I started acting loopy and calm from the shot and my hand where the I.V. went in. Then they wheeled me into the operation room and I switched beds. The put on 3 heart monitors, two on my chest and one on my side. They also put on a blood pressure thing and a pulse thing on my finger. None of this hurt. Then they gave me the sleeping gas. It smelled like I was breathing strange air that was coated with lollipops and it felt like the room was tilting. The nurses voices faded and the next thing I knew I was opening my eyes in recovery. A nurse took out my I.V and wheeled my bed to a room where my mom was. She gave me sprite (I remember asking many times for water but she told me I would throw up). I kept falling asleep, waking up, and drinking sprite until I was able to get dressed, which I'm so surprised I did myself. I remember I got dizzy and had to sit down for a second. The nurse got a wheel chair and took me to the car. We stopped by sonic but I fell asleep until I got home. Since then I've drank a strawberry slush, a few cups of water, jello, raspberry sherbet, and some chicken broth. I've been able to talk the entire time but it all hurts. I have some numbing lollipops and pain meds (gross liquid) :P. I switch between that and ibuprofen every 3 hours. For the pills I've been slipping it down with jello. So far my first day has been better than many stories on here but we'll see about the next week or so. I'll keep this posted day by day about how it's going!

Day 2 was not any better. My ears have a lot of pressure on them and its getting harder to speak and swallow. I have tried eating more stuff on the list on what to eat but somethings get stuck in my throat.
Those air activated hand or feet warmers feel amazing on my ears and I usually keep these and a cold pack on my neck and it feels really good.
My tongue feels almost swollen and it feels like it has canker sores on the side. OUCH! But I have been up and walking around a bit. I sat outside for a bit today and it was nice getting fresh air.
As for meds, I have been taking the ibuprofen and the medicine that the doctor gave me. He also gave us a recipe for a numbing medicine that is actually a mixture of 3 other meds. It makes it much easier to swallow the ibuprofen and to drink water and other drinks.
I'll post again about Day 3 tomorrow night!

I didn't really feel like posting again until tonight. I'm on day 9 and feel horrible! Days 3+4 were not so good but I actually ate some Mac n cheese and other noodlely foods. Days 5+6 I actually felt so good! It was like a much needed break after the past few days. There wasn't much pain and all I felt in my throat was a slight stinging when I swallowed. My ears started hurting and felt like someone was constantly pressing hard right below them. Day 7 was bad. The scabs started falling off and I spat out a bit of blood. I stopped taking motrin and now just take the Lortab when I need to. I couldn't eat anything but a Popsicle and sherbet. And then, as if te recovery couldn't get worse, I got my period day 7 as well. Fun stuff.
This is pretty much where I've been the past few days. Sherbet and Popsicles are the only thing I can stand to swallow. I'm constantly spitting out pieces of scabs and it hurts like crazy to talk. Water tastes horrible so I have fallen to Gatorade. When I need to swallow I always have a hot pack over my ears and a cold pack under my chin. I have color guard in the morning and have missed the passed two days and really want to get out of the house so I hope I'm able I wake up/ get up. I guess I'll get back to watching Friends and try to fall asleep for now.

So this will be my last post as I actually feel much better. Yesterday was a pretty bad day.. I felt good but I think I cried overall much more than I did the first 9 days total. The scabs were almost all the way gone but it still felt like I was swallowing a pin every time I swallowed. When I woke up today I was really tired but I really felt much better. Now it really just feels like strep. My voice changed a bit and it sounds like I have something stuck in my throat but my mom says it sounds okay but I don't know.. It's really much easier to talk today than even yesterday. I ate some cheesecake and I had a soft taco but with no meat and had no problem. I have to read something for a recognition thing for church on Sunday an just hope I'm able to talk clear enough.
Well, I'm glad the bad pain is over and just can't wait to be completely done with this. I've only lost 6 pounds which makes me a bit more underweight then I was but my sister says I'll gain it back in muscle after color guard camp next week.. Lol
Oh and just a note: a few days ago my entire tongue was white and I freaked out thinking it was thrush but after eating and drinking its now completely gone.
Good luck to everyone else out there going through the same thing I did and I hope your recovery goes as well as mine :)

I know how you feel. My experience with tonsil and adenoidectomy surgery was pretty much similar to yours. I believed that in my case this is going really slow. And, to be honest, I didn't know how to act about this. I remember that once my doctor asked me how I feel and I told him that I believe that I felt every single adenoidectomy side effects. I was in pain, my throat was in pain and I couldn't eat almost anything. I also remember that one day my tongue was like its made of woods. Pretty nasty. This ended after 10 days or 12, I can't remember.