:'( I am 50 years old and just had a tonsillectomy five days ago. The first two days were okay. I was actualy quite surprised that I did so well. However, the last three days have been hell. My ears hurt so badly. I am taking 3 teaspoons of liquid Vicodine every 3 1/2 hours, but it barely takes the edge off. They told me to use an ice pack for the first 48 hours, which I did, along with eating ice chips. Is there anything I can do to get relief from my ears hurting so badly? I want to try a heating pad, but I'm afraid. Can you help? Yes, my throat really hurts, but my ears are my biggest complaint.

The pain may be stronger because you are an adult. I had tonsillectomy done when I was 18 and I was also in a lot of pain, both my throat and ears.
It lasted longer that they said it would. It was like 10 days or so. I was told that the earache is not an ear infection but that it comes from the throat as the same nerve goes through both throat and ears. The stimulation of this nerve could be felt like an earache.

You may decide to continue applying ice to the neck and chew gums as this is also said to relive pain and relax throat muscles.

I did have quite a relief from the painkillers I was given but if you find your pain unbearable, maybe you should see a doctor again. I think that vicodin is pretty strong as it is used for moderate and severe pain.

I would consult a doctor if I were you/

I am 26 and just had this surgery 3 weeks ago.. I am STILL in pain. no joke. my ears were never really that bad... but when they did ache a bit, i just put ice packs behind them and on my neck. that helped a bit. i had liquid oxy... cause vicodin and all that stuff has never been strong enough for me. you should ask for stronger meds.

I'm so glad to hear this is not just me. I had mine last Monday so Im on day 9.. and i still hurt. The first couple days werent as bad as they made them out to be, so I thought I was going to be ok... I was the "strong silent I can do this patient" for the whole first week, but now Im done. Its driving me crazy. I can't sleep through the night- I wake up every 2 or 3 hours because my throat is dry. I drink so many fluids I might as well move into the bathroom. I hurt every morning until it clears up, which happens faster now, every evening... and every time I have to eat mush so that I can take the meds... which comes up to pretty much all day- minus a good hour here or there. 3 OR 4 GOOD HOURS A DAY! It hurts everytime I swallow because the scab is tearing or separating and I can't take it anymore. I can barely eat anything still and had no idea Id still be confined to shredded noodles and lunchmeat drenched in gravy to make it bearable on DAY 9. And my doctor just says its normal, its different for everyone- drink plenty of fluids..... I hope this is better soon. I need pizza, or a burger, or anything without gravy and without shooting pain everytime I swallow. Any suggestions?

The hospital i had it done in the UK gave me some painkillers and a chart with how to take them.

dosage:
Paracetamol 2 x 500mg tablets
Tramadol 2 x 50mg capsules
Ibuprofen 2 x 200 mg tablets

on the first and second day i didnt need to take the tramadol as the pain wasnt so bad. Tramadol is for day 4,5 and 6 after surgery (day 1 being op day). It's very good for moderate/severe pain, as its derived from opium, same kinda league as Morphine.

Take the painkillers before the pain sets in, follow this plan. I've been doing it and am doing well at controlling the pain.

take the paracetamol and tramadol together on empty stomache, eat with or before taking ibuprofen.

6am: paracetamol and tramadol

8am: Ibuprofen

12pm: paracetamol and tramadol

2pm: ibuprofen

6pm paracetamol and tramadol

8pm ibuprofen

midnight: paracetamol and tramadol

2am if needed: ibuprofen

Remember only take the tramadol on days 4, 5 and 6 as scheduled UNLESS the pain becomes too much. I started the tramadol on day 3 because there was a lot of pain. Currently on day 5 and the schedule is doing good for my pain.

note: The above plan and painkillers were prescribed to me after my tonsillectomy, i haven't invented to the plan at all. So it's safe and advisable. Bottom line is its working for me.

i am on day 6 after tonsillectomy and thought it would all be pretty easy and not hurt much. boy was i wrong. at 33 and after two c-sections i thought this would be a piece of cake.
i have lots of pain too and the coctail of panadol, codine and ibprofen isn't helping much. yes mornings and middle of night are the worst with splitting ear ache and aweful pain when swollowing.
i find icecream and cold custard slide down well. i have forced the odd piece of toast down too as was told must eat to stop scabs forming. these then fall off later and bleed which is not wanted.
thanks to the last response. i must split up the timing of the drugs a bit more. i can't last 6 hours between panadol.

love to know how earlier responses are getting on now.

I just had tonsillectomy done 4 days ago, and am taking the APAP w/ Codeine, but man the ear aches are the worst, I can't sleep at night cause of the ear aches. I can't even speak correctly either when I try and strain to speak like I normally did my ear hurts like hell. I've been living off of ice cream, cold jello, apple juice, and water..but man I wish i could have some pizza [I bought a pizza, and only had the cheese]. But I'm wondering does having warmer foods help the throat better or cold ones?

I'm 26 and on day 6 since my tonsillectomy. I knew it would hurt but I don't think I was quite prepared for how much it would hurt!

The hospital were giving me Co-codamol and Ibuprohen but when i got discharged I was given Paracetamol?! and Diclofenac sodium, a combination that did nothing to help the pain from day 3 onwards. Thank fully I was staying with my Mom for a few days post surgery and she happened to have some co-codamol for a back condition, I know you're not supposed to take other peoples prescribed medication but I couldn't cope any longer. Bizzarely the Co-codamol and Diclofenac sodium, taken at 3hr intervals (So there are 6 hours between each dose) only seem to work for about 3hrs in the middle of the day, before and after the pain is almost unbearable, it has been like this the past 2 days.

I have been able to sleep through the pain however up until last night. Also today I noticed the scabs are starting to split and it is so sore. I really hope things start to improve soon!

As far as eating and drinking go, I have been able to eat for the 3hrs in the middle of the day when the pain is less severe but otherwise small sips of water are agony. I find drinking water between mouthfulls helps the food go down, otherwise it seems to be stuck at the back of my throat and almost up the back of my nose!

I still don't regret having the tonsillectomy though, this is about the same as my worst bouts of bacterial tonsillitus were, and if I never have to go through one of those again, it will be worth it!

I'm 25 and on day 5 and boy has the pain finally kicked in!!! Its in my ears, throat, jaw and on my tongue. I have gven birth naturally and would rather do that than go through this, hope it ends soon!

On discharge from hospital the gave co-codamol 500g, ibuprofen 400g, erithromycin, difflam mouth wash/throat spray and diclofenac suppositories (1 a day). I also have a very good friend who has said that i can use her diazepam if it becomes unbearable.

I have to use the spray first thing the morning then drink a glass of water to take the co-codamol and erithromycin together and 30 mins before I eat, its the only way I can eat toast and other solid food that they suggest you eat to cleanse your throat, but afterwards i enjoy the ice cream! when these wear off which is usually around about 2 hours then i have the ibuprofen and the spray. after another 2 hours i start the cycle of drugs again. I find that cocodamol is the best and does help me sleep at night till about 3am when i wake up clutching my throat because its so dry. Today is the 1st day too that i have had to use the suppositories, but if you use them then you cant use the ibuprofen.

What I could do without is my mum trying to say how much of a wimp i am because when she had hers done she was back in school the week after (she was 6) but you can never get things across to her, she is cloth eared. When i am trying to explain what i'm going through and that things are different for adult she just told me grow up and stop being so f*****g soft. Anyone got advise on how to deal with people like that?

Like Joanna says, I dont regret having them removed and at least what I am going through now is temporary and i will never have to deal with the pain and discomfort of tonsillitus again

I am 33 and just had a tonsillectomy yesterday. My throat and neck are very swollen and tonight my ears are starting to hurt. I don't handle pain medication well, I get sick to my stomach. The Dr. prescribed Hydrocodone for me, he thought it would be easier on my stomach, So, he has me alternating between the Hydrocodone and Ibuprofen. It only helps the pain a little. I have just a sensitive stomach and can't take much pain medication.

I know what some of you are talking about when others are acting like you shouldn't be in that much pain, they weren't they say or they know someone that wasn't in much pain...but, they are talking about having it done when they were a child, not an adult! They don't realize how difficult this surgery can be on adults and that is frustrating.

i'm 18 years old and i'm on my 5th day after my tonsillectomy, and i was wondering, does anybody know how long i should go before i chew tobacco again? i'm very addicted and its been a hard 5 days already, but i'll go as long as i have to so i don't get an infection, can anyone tell me how long they waited before they continued smoking or chewing?

I'm 28 and I had the surgery back in May. It wasn't too bad. The first night I took Hacil (narcotic) and I threw up. The surgeon warned me that I would get sick from it. So after that I didn't throw up again. I took liquid childrens tylenol and felt better. The pain was only bad in the mornings, but I have a high threshold of pain so I dealt with it. I was back at work after 2 1/2 weeks. And I talk on the phone for a living. The surgery was well worth it.
I did eat the whole soft diet for 3 weeks, lots of popsicles and propel (great stuff to drink) and egg drop soup. Best thing I can tell anyone is follow doctors orders to a "T" And Children's Tylenol works wonders for pain. It coasted my throat and tasted pretty good and it helped me sleep at night.
When I returned to my surgeon he was shock about how well I did and I didn't complain. He said most patients are in so much pain afterwards. The surgery was well worth and I had amazing care :-)

:'( Just had my tonsillectomy on Monday 18th. Going through so much pain at moment. Bad ear aches and throat like razor blades. I carn't cope really well. Was feeling good a couple of days ago.

I'm 26 and sceduled on Oct 2nd for the surgery. I'm reading these posts and you are scaring the hell out of me. I'm not so much afraid of the pain, I'm afraid of how long it's going to take to get back to work. I'm self-employed, my job does not entail physical work but I need to be able to talk on the phone and deal with customers face to face. How long before I will be able to return to work? How long before I will be able to return to the gym? I DO NOT want to lose weight! Will I be able to suck down protein shakes and weight gainers?

I am a 34 year old male that had a tonsillectomy, uvula removal, and a setoplasty on Sept 7Th, 2006 to hopefully correct my sleep apnea. All 3 procedures done at once! I am on day 17 right now. Throat is still a little sore. My lymph nodes in my neck are still swollen. I can only taste about 25% of what I eat. I have stopped taking all pain meds about a week ago (hydrocodone). Basically, I still do not feel well. What concerns me though is I also have been feeling itchy all over, especially my face. My joints in my knees and my muscles have been achy. I have no fever at all. Is it normal to have these type of post-op symptoms? Could this be from the disturbance of my nerve endings from the removal on my tonsils??