Hello!
I am currently on Day 6 of recovery from my tonsillectomy.

I am miserable.. The ear pain is awful.. The throat pain... The scabs.. Blech. The thing that concerns me the most is the itch in the back of my throat.

I know this means that I am healing, but people have got me so scared to cough that I can't even function!

It's 3:30 a.m. and I have been trying to sleep since 10 p.m., but every time I relax, my throat relaxes, gets that itchy feeling, and it's over.. I start coughing, which in turn sends me in to panic mode.. which only makes things worse I'm sure.

Can anyone recommend anything that would help take the "tickle" out of my throat? I've tried cough drops.. warm tea with honey... everything I can think of..

Or if there's nothing to recommend, please tell me to calm down about coughing! ;P

Thanks so much in advance

Have you tried sleeping sitting up? I know that if you are experiencing some itchiness or that sort of thing in the back of the throat that sleeping while sitting up can really help. It keeps you from totally relaxing so you can get some much needed rest! It sounds to me like you already used the other methods I suggested--you can also ask your doctor if it's possible to get some cough syrup with codeine to relax the throat. Does anyone else have any ideas? Keep us posted.

I know it's too late to respond to this but in case someone else reads it, YES, the sleeping sitting up is beneficial.
When you are awake, I found that the small flavored lollipops, dum-dums, are quite helpful...they keep the moisture in your throat from the saliva, they don't burn and they also help take the awful taste out of your mouth from the scabs coming off.

HI AM ALSO ON MY 6TH DAY, SAME PROBLEM WITH U..
WHAT DID YOU DO TO OVERCOME THAT ITCHY PROBLEM AND COUGH AND COUGH AT NIGHT?
AM NERVOUS BECAUSE I READ SOME ARTICLES SAYING THAT COUGHING MEANS THAT THERE IS BLOOD IN THE LUNGS...
PLS HELP ME.
THANK YOU.

I found coughing was the best way to get the scabs off. In fact I made myself cough so I could cough up the scabs. I hope you feel a bit better soon. If its any consolation I started to feel much better on day 9 and feeling much better. I started to feel much better only yesterday but it was quite a quick change. Good luck x

I'm on day 20 and still feel terrible. I can't taste anything and my throat is so itchy! I called my doc this morning and she said that was normal. This has to be the worst thing I've ever done to myself!

i got my tonsils out im having the same problem ive tried sitting ul and going to sleep but i cant my throat starts to burn and my teeth and gums and my ear starts to burn i
My mom. Took me to the doctor and tbey saud its a process if healing so they sended me home i cant eat anything when i try ti eat simething i gag it up

I got my Tonsils out in June 19, 2017 and it has been beck. I am 35 years old and have had natural childbirth along with a partial hysterectomy. The weekend before my procedure no pharmacy had any of my prescriptions. Mentioned before procedure started the surgeon told my spouse he called and verified that these meds will be there. I left surgery and the pharmacy said they told him the meds weren't there. My spouse literally searched for my Topex spray and Lortab Elix. Yesterday day 2. I vomited all day, but not blood. It looks like Phlegm and maybe whatever else that's hanging, now I have a fever can't swallow spit, my meds, or even water. But MY BODY was aching worse than I ever felt. Day 3 my spouse called out and took me to the ER around 4 a.m. Phenegran and Demerol shot. I am still vomiting but was told it will kick in. Called the DR as soon as they open he advised me to come in then he asked why couldn't I swallow. I just looked mind you I can't talk tongue swollen throat swollen. He sends me back to the ER. But first he sprays the Topex on my throat and then suction off what he said was pus but it was normal. Vomiting still but never blood. Went back to the ER for pain, nausea, and steroid shot. I slept a he and still can't hold anything down. My kids seen on YouTube to try a piece of bread I pray it works. After the suction my throat has been scratchy.

I had my tonsils out one week ago today. It's nearly 4 AM I've been up the whole night coughing. The first day I got home was rough, I was extremely nauseous after anesthesia. Day two was okay, throat was dry and I couldn't speak. day three the pain hit really hard and day four was the worst. I had nausea alllll day long. I literally slept that entire day. Day five felt better, but at that point I was so hungry but still eating anything solid made my throat pain intensify however I was able to start talking again. Day six I felt sort of normal but had spent the night coughing, got up to see if I had cough syrup but I just had baby cough meds... I took them out of desperation! Just wanted some sleep! And now I'm up again tonight with the coughing. I'm sure it's the scabs coming off, because I AM sleeping with my head elevated. I'm going to call the doc and see that it's okay that I take some cough meds cause at this point I'm not sleeping and I've got to return to work in two days. I'm 26 in a couple days, had a baby at 24, now the pain is not worse than childbirth, but the recovery after a tonsillectomy is harder than the recovery after childbirth WITH an episiotomy.

I’m 24 years old and had tonsillectomy. This is my experience so far. Day 1, I Woke up and felt a sore throat but nothing too bad as I had tramadol(painkiller) about 5:10 mins after the operation so wasn’t too bad and was able to go home that day. However because of anaesthetic every time I moved I felt extremely nauseous. When I came home I went to bed and slept til next morning. Day 2 the pain is unreal. Still feeling sick if I moved too much, so was bed bound the whole day. Day 3 as if it couldn’t get worse. Throat sore and tongue swollen. Everything tastes disgusting I couldn’t eat anything and found it very difficult to swallow saliva. Day 4 starving since day 1 I feel extremely weak but was able to drink, with a little pain. Day 5 disgusted by the tonsil scabs and the taste. It stinks up the whole room. I couldn’t eat anything without getting the taste of the scab in my mouth and it was FOUL. Day 6 sleeping at night is hard because moth gets dry and that hurts when waking up. Still havnt eating anything and I’m so hungry and very thirsty. But it’s just too painful to eat. Throat is now itchy, I feel like the scabs are starting to come off. I havnt checked but that’s what it feels like. This is probably one of the worst things I have been through and I just can’t wait for this to be over

I'm on day 6 post op and I feel horrid! My ears and throat are itchy. Yes I know its the scabs. Am I allowed to take cough syrup? I accidentally got too dependant on the pain pills so I'm making myself stick to only Tylenol. Ice chips help temporarily.

I just had my tonsillectomy on Monday September 10, 2018 and it is now Monday the 17..... I currently have a very bad itch, my phlegm is crazy (I get a lot), and just started to be able to talk a little more... I have been sleeping sitting up for the last week, as per doctor's orders, and it's not helping my itch at all.... Any other recommendations??