Hi! I am 36 year-old male and I suffer from sleep apnea. I have been having problems with being very tired and exhausted lately and my ENT recommended tonsillectomy. Now everybody’s talking about tonsillectomy risks in adults and are kind of freaking me out. Can you help me out make a decision?

Hi! You are the only one who should make that decision but some information may do you good. Personally I reckon that you may benefit from tonsillectomy considering you suffer from sleep apnea and I know what’s that like because my child also has it. By removing your tonsils you will remove all the troubles you have associated with the disorder. I think that this outweighs the possible prolonged bleeding or pain for a few weeks following the surgery. Recovery differs from person to person and it may take from 10 to 20 days. Your doctor will probably prescribe painkillers to get you through the worse and prolonged bleeding is just a potential side effect. You will have to eat special soft things and this will help you avoid the discomfort and bleeding associated with the procedure. If the bleeding does occur, it will be taken care of by your ENT.

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!! i promise do not have your tonsils taken out...id rather have a sore throat every second of every day then go through this recovery...its depressing and frusterating because it never gets better....each day it got worse....

I agree! Im 28 years old and I got the procedure done 8 days ago and it is HORRIBLE! The first day I was ok the 2nd day I felt great The 3rd day I thought I was going to die! Its like a big tease 1 day you feel like it might get better and the next its bad again! Its extremely hard to talk and sometimes hard to breathe! I was told I had huge tonsils when I was 10 why my parents did not do the surgery then is beyond me.. Anyway today was a good day and im praying to god that every day will just gradually get better! Ive already lost 8 lbs and my appetite is starting to come back but it still hurts to eat, I was told that by day 7 my normal diet would be ok again but im still in to much pain to eat! I would rather have a sore throat everyday then feel like this! I just want to feel normal again!

I had my tonsils out cause I kept getting sick and I became immune to all the antibotics so I had to have them romove or get worse.
I tell you it hurts like no other pain but they give you liquid codine to take. suck on ice chips and try to drink soup to eat. I also found that having a few beers helped. It took about 3 weeks to feel really good. If your doc gives you the green light to have them removed do what ever you need to do to help yourself. Just remember though that you can still get strep and still get sore throats and if you don't get that taken care of right way you are looking at some serious health issues cause the virus will move else where Starting with your HEART.

Good luck and in the end it is all about how you feel about the proceedure.
God Bless

agree with everyone above! dont do it! id rather suffer with tonsilitous than go through this pain. im on day 6 and on the verge of launching myself off the nearest bridge!

I am on day 7 now and it is awful!! Like someone said above day 1 and 2 were good, day 3 I could not keep any food down, day 4 and 5 good, night 5 I woke up to a horrible pain in my throat, night 6 same as before...wish me luck on night 7.

My diet has been soup, pudding, boost, jello, and water (lots of water). If you know of anything else to eat, let me know!!! I up for trying anything. I am so tired of eating soup.

:cry:
I am a 33 year old woman, with a really high threshold for pain. I got the procedure done 5 days ago. I got it done because I have been in the hospital many many many times for tonsilitis, not being able to breathe and constantly having an infection. I thought this was going to be a breeze because it is an outpatient procedure. NOOOOOOOOho ho ho I have never been so wrong. I still can not swallow. I maybe have an hour window a few times a day after I take my meds(Roxicet) to swallow at all and even on meds it is painful and difficult. In my case my tonsils were HUGE. What happens when I try to swallow is I feel like I am drowning. The liquid feels as if it is going up into my sinus'. The other day I was drinking chicken broth and it started pouring out of my nose. This is not in fact my biggest problem though. It has been 5 days and my voice...what little I have now sounds like someone who is retarded or deaf. People keep telling me to wait for it all to heal. I hope that it does not stay like this. It will change MY WHOLE LIFE if it does. It is not a matter of not annunciating things properly...there is not amout of effort that would HELP with this problem. I can not eat, I got a good juice and it is too thick. I can not have any cold drink it makes too much mucus as does ice cream or popsicles. I recommend this procedure only if it is life threatening not for convenience. Mine was life threatening and I regret it. At least I do right now.