Hi, I am a 33 year old female smoker who has suffered from recurrent strep throat and other ailments for as long as I can remember. Last year I had a case of strep that lasted the better part of 2 months and 4 courses of antibiotics. I finally persuaded my GP to refer me to ENT. ENT took one look and said my tonsils are so large that it could be causing me to have a low grade infection alot of the time which is why I get sick so much anyway to cut a long story short I am booked in to have my tonsils removed by diathermy. I have googled this method and can only find things like highest risk of post op bleeds and longer and more painful recovery so kinda freaking out. Surgery happens Friday morning and then I stay in hospital overnight. I will post full recovery details as they happen. I have researched recovery for the past few months and have stocked up on paracetamol and tramadol to help with pain, ice ice ice by the freezer full and lots of powerade. I am as ready for this as I can be. More to follow

So had my tonsils removed at about 2 pm yesterday. I came in to hospital an sat around for 2 hours before it was my turn I was then given 3 Panadol ad taken to surgery. Everyone was really funny and I was in a good mood. Woke up in recovery and had Laryngospasm which wasn't fun and apparently a rare side effect of anethetic. What happened was I couldn't get a breath and was just gasping sounded like a seal and my legs were like concrete blocks so had oxygen. Was then given 10mg morphine and taken to the ward. Once in the ward I was given liquid Paracetemol and bupropion because I don't like diclofenac. The regularly checked my blood pressure which was dropping a wee bit low. Pain throughout went from 5 when I came out of surgery to a 1-2 since. About an hour after surgery the gave me dinner carrots potatoe broccoli managed a couple of carrots and the potatoe. Have drunk 2 1/2 liters of water so far. My uvula is swollen abit and keep feeling like flem but think its just the uvula anyway that all for now. Drugs been given tramadol and leveradol Paracetemol ibuprophane

Well it is now day 4 of my tonsillectomy recovery and so far so good. I have been downing painkillers every 6 hours 1000mg Panadol and 100mg tramadol. To be honest it doesn't really keep the pain away. But what works brilliantly is ibuprofen it's magic. I know your not meant to take it because it can thin the blood but instant relief. Most of the bad pain isn't even from my throat sure that hurts but nothing worse than a case of strep but the swelling in my jaw and mouth afew times aday it seizes up and starts swelling that's when I need the ibuprofen and I have been putting a wheat pack on my jaw when this happens too. Food have been eating solids had a crunchier bar last night lol (needed a choc fix) and cheese on toast has been pretty much main dinner since I had tonsils out been drinking heaps of fluid. Sleep not too bad I take meds before I go to sleep then wake up 6-7 hours later more meds and a couple glasses I water and then I am comfortable for most of the day. So far the whole process has been a whole lot better than I had expected was still surprised by the facial swelling tho. More to follow

Ok so morning of day 5 in a fair bit of pain but its all in my jaw and tounge everything just feels swollen. Had a minor bleed yesterday afternoon but it stopped with ice water and was only minor. Pain killers are rubbish still have about 2 hours before my next dose is due - still it is tolerable. Hubby cooked steak, eggs and chips for tea last night and smelt so good I said give me some and manage to eat a small meal very slowly but paid for it with mouth pain after but was worth it lol

Ok well day 6 and up til now I thought that it wasn't such a bad operation but boy am I in some major pain today my throat stinks and tastes like sh*t. Saliva is building up in my mouth by the cup load and I can't swallow it so have been spitting it out man it smells rank. I took meds at 8 am 2 ibuprofen 3 codiene 30mg tablets and 2 paracetamol. It is now 11.45 am am in soo much pain had 1 tramadol and 2 ibuprofen I know that isn't really what I should be doing but hell I need this pain to go away. My first drink this morning felt like razor blades slicing my throat open was so bad it brought me to tears. Unable to eat anything and struggling to drink but am making an effort too because I know it the best thing for the pain. I hope this doesn't last too long