I had my tonsillectomy 2 weeks ago,28 years old.I had no idea how bad I would feel now.With the pain meds. I still cant sleep or eat.The only thing that I can really say that helps is water.I even bought Insure Drinks,for dehydration.I just want to know if this is normal?I usually have a very high pain tolerance!Please give me your opinion.My three kids need thier mom back in good health.

Before I went in for my tonsillectomy I cruised this site and I have to say all of these horror stories freaked me out, so I want to post a less than scary tale.

I am 40 and am now on day 11. The day after my tonsillectomy I vacuumed the whole house and ate some ramen noodles. It hurt to swallow, but I was talking pain meds regularly (Lortab). I drank as much water as I could and I was so hungry that I continued to eat whatever I could get down. Eating was not enjoyable at first, but I truly think that eating helped keep my energy up and each time I tried it, it was easier to swallow.

Yesterday (day 10) I had corn on the cob and a grilled hamburger with minimal discomfort.

I had some painful moments, but I have to say, it wasn't the most painful thing I've ever experienced. So, if you are about to go in, you may be lucky and have a less than horrible experience.

Good luck everyone

I am on day 6 of my Tonsillectomy and so far it's been okay. I'm eating normal healthy food and moving around but it does hurt to swallow and I am still on the pain medicine. The first couple days after surgery I wouldn't eat anything but I came to realize that it really feels better when you eat. It may be hard but chew a lot and it's really worth it. The exception is mornings. Even this morning was brutal. But least I started sleeping throught the night. Here's to feeling better!

I'm having my tonsils removed this Friday. I am 30 years old and very nervous about this procedure. Which pain meds are the best to take for this? My doctor mentioned givine me Percocet. Has anyone taken this after their surgery?

I am 40 yrs old and I had my tonisllectomy and corrected deviated septum 8 days ago. My throat is still soar and after eating something, it becomes even worse especially on the right side and not to mention first thing in the mornings, it's almost unbearable. I am still very weak, sometimes sick on my tummy and I feel light headed and dizzy. I am affraid to drive because of it...Is there anyone else having this problem?

I had a tonsillectomy and corrected deviated septum as well 9 days ago. 23 year old. I must say that the first 5 days were pretty dang miserable, although not unbearable. The first day was the worst by far, I kept gagging (I'm guessing as a result of the swelling) which would make me throw up blood. I made quite the mess in the process. I lost my appetite completely (and 15 pounds/12% of my body weight)... it wasn't until the last couple days that I finally started having urges to actually eat again. Forced eating is never a fun task.

Overall though, I am feeling a lot better though. Each day was an improvement which helps you know it will eventually be gone. My throat is still sore, although nothing but an annoyance. I halfway played in a soccer game today (against doctors orders) which was exciting to finally do something productive. I was pretty worn out but I think that was related to the weight loss more than anything. Any liquid other than water doesn't go down so well (anything carbonated flat out burns). I also have found that when I eat ANYTHING cold, about 5 seconds later I get a burning/stabbing sensation in my ears.

My nose is still pretty sore. Kind of like you were hit in the face with a soccer ball and the whole thing feels bruised. But other than that sensation, it doesn't really bother me... I just have to be careful not to brush it up against anything (such as washing my face at night)

I have been taking Percocet.. it does the job although the first week I would fall asleep within an hour of taking it. I'm completely off the stuff after 7 days. I do believe the percocet contributed to my lack of appetite. once I was off of it, I started to have hunger cravings again.

I am 32 and I had my tonsills out yesterday. All I can say is that I was frightened when I read some tonsillectomy experiences on this site and now I feel great. I know that some of you say that cold knife is old and rejected method, but it worked like a charm for me. I have to thank my doctors for that, the ORL surgeon and the anesthesiologist. They did a very good job. I could talk as soon as I woke up, I woke up very easy and was able to drink tea and milk some 3-4 hours after surgery. They gave me some pain meds IV during and after the surgery, but that was the first and the last time. The bleeding was minimal and I had to spit some blood out for about 2 hours, but these were only drops, nothing much. I slept the whole night. I can't say that there is no pain. There is, but it is so mild. I stayed at the hospital for 24 hours and was discharged this morning. I AM NOT TAKING ANY PAIN MEDS AND FEEL ALMOST AS NOTHING HAPPENED!!! Today I ate milk with bread, vanilla puding, ice cream and also some baby food (turkey meat with carrots and rise!). I have no problems swallowing food , my taste is great and I can talk as much as I want. A friend of mine who saw me today asked me why they delayed the surgery and sent me home! He thought that I didn't have it and was so surprised when he saw me smiling and talking. All I can say is THANKS to everybody from The ST Medica Hospital.

Well, I got surgery done on Monday. It is now Saturday.
The first two days after surgery, I felt completely fine. I was eating soft foods and had an appetite. Day 3, I felt like I was dying. Well, turns out I was allergic to my pain medicine, hydrocodone. I was itching like crazy, gained 3 pounds overnight, and had a MASSIVE headache for about 8-10 hours where I was hallucinating and would have to wake up every 2 hours from the pain.
My doctor switched me from hydrocodone to codeine, which has worked better as all of the itching/headaches have stopped but the pain is horrendous. Around the same time, my mom and I realized that we had never gotten prescribed an antibiotic post surgery! So, a full 2-3 days after surgery, I was finally given oral amoxicillin.
Yesterday was a little better for me, at one point I felt well enough to have a small amount of spaghetti. That was a mistake. upon garling hot salt water in my mouth, tiny bits of noodles came out! They had gotten "stuck" in the back of my mouth; that area between the nose and throat. I have realized since then that any intake I have had besides water has been getting caught in that region; anything with sugar burns, and after eating I have an excess of mucuous.
Today was worse than yesterday. I haven't been able to talk for three days, and today when i was gargling, I spit up a small chunk of tissue and mucuos mixed with blood which obviously concerns me.
My tongue is so swollen that I can barely move it an inch before feeling pain. The entire back of my throat is a yellowish white, including the dangling thing at the back of my throat. It is so swollen, about twice its regular size, and touches my tongue now when i open my mouth. it, too, has a white film around it. my tongue is numb on both sides. i can taste any and all amounts of salt.
I have gone from 133 pounds to 136, and then 132 to 129 all in 5 days. Just drinking water is extremely painful. I thought I would do well after surgery as I am very healthy, but honestly I don't think it matters. The fact that I did indeed suffer from sore throat for years and years before the surgery probably has something to do with it.
The only thing I have been able to eat now are sugar free popsicles, and the only thing I can drink is water. I have completely lost my appetite.

Hello there!
I'm writing again after some time. It's been about 4 weeks since my surgery, and I forgot that I even had it. :D Everything came back to normal about a week after tonsillectomy. Some small pain every now and then (like a sore throat) is not even worth mentioning.

Anyway, I spoke with my ENT about the problems people are writing about and he told me that cauterisation, lasers and all the other "bloodless" procedures are burning the tissue deep under the cut and cause the pain and swelling they are talking about. Since doctors are trying to minimise the bleeding, they almost always burn the whole space where your tonsills used to be. That way, you get not only regular wounds, but also large burns in your throat. Burns are the ones that hurt!!! In my case they cut out the tonsills, burned perhaps a couple of small bleedings (only spots) and ligated one blood vessel. That way the rest of the tissue underneath was not affected and the swelling, the pain and the post-op recovery was minimal.

I don't know if this is going to help any of you fighting the pain feel any better, but maybe it will do some good to those planing to have tonsillectomy.

One more thing. Before the surgery, my ENT came to my room to speak to me about the procedure. After he was done, he asked me if I had any questions. Since many of you wrote about "holes" in your throats that make swallowing difficult, I just asked him, if possible, to adapt those holes for me if he finds them too big. And he did so. Now I feel like nothing happened, like I never had a surgery. Nothing stucks in my throat and nothing hurts for a long time. Only yawning was painfull for some time. Everything WITHOUT the pain meds. Tomorrow I'm going to the last checkup and than it will officially be over.

That is all from me for now. I hope some of you will find this useful. If someone needs some more information about this, I'll be glad to help.

Wish you all the best.
Maya

So I'm thouroughly scared about my tonsillectomy in 3 weeks but it's nice to hear that some people aren't having the please-God-kill-me type of pain. So here's a question: if any of you sing, how long was it before you could sing after your surgery? I'm scheduled to lead worship at church about 3 weeks after but I don't wanna get too optimistic! This is really helpful!

Hi there!
All I can say is that I could sing about 3 days after the surgery but not well enough to lead worship. That doesn't mean that you will be able to. To be honest, even if everything goes perfectly well do not expect to be a good singer 3 weeks after the surgery. Tonsillectomy is something that professional singers always try to avoid. Your voice might never be the same. It didn't happen to me but there is a big chance that it might happen to you. Also your throat will never be the same and you will have to learn how to use it afterwards.
My advice to you would be to talk to your ENT and tell him that you are a proffesional singer or planning to become one (EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT!!!) and ask him to do everything in his power to make you recover asap and to take care of your voice. There are no guarantees but be sure that there is A LOT he can do.
Wish you all the best. Write how you "survived" your surgery.
Maya

I am 27 and on day 5 of my tonsillectomy recovery- I have never felt such pain in my life. I have quite a high pain threshold but this is awful- days 1-3 were a walk in the park compared to yesterday and today. I have been trying to keep really well hydrated, but today I can't bring myself to drink as much as I have because its so painful its making me cry :-( I've lost 5 kgs in 5 days- which I couldn't really afford to lose! I have only been eating jelly and tofu and occasionally chewing gum as I heard this helps the muscles loosen and will aid recovery..oh I have also been sucking ice blocks, they are pretty good.

My mouth feels disgusting I can't wait to be able to brush and rinse vigorously!

I feel as tho the area where my tonsils used to be is ulcerating and I have mouth ulcers on my tongue and lips...anyone else experienced this? I can only put it down to poor diet and lack of sleep.

I just want this nightmare to be over, I know everyone says its worth it but right now i', wishing I never had it done!!!

I'm on day 4 of my recovery. Despite the horrific stories, the pain has been bearable, but then again painkillers have made it A LOT easier to cope with. It feels extremely similar to having tonsillitis in my opinion.

The actual operation itself wasn't too bad, I'd never had surgery before so it was all new to me. Before I went under I was given some painkillers, an anti-inflammatory pill and a drug that would make me woozy. Being put under anaesthetic was quite strange, I remember being injected with a syringe of milky fluid (the anaesthetic), I don't remember falling asleep, but my memory after that is blank. I awoke about an hour later in the recovery room feeling quite sore and dazed.

Unlike other stories I've read, I was soon eating after my operation. I was told that I could either have ice-cream, which would do nothing but soothe the pain, or I could eat rough food, which was painful but would flush down the scabs and speed up the recovery time.

During the next few days after my tonsillectomy, I experienced gum pain, earache, and a stiff jaw along with the throat pain. After the operation things usually get worse before they get better I have to admit. I've heard that after 10 days you should begin to bounce back :-) although I'd take it easy for about 2 weeks so you can fully recover.

Here are a few things that have helped me so far:
+Drink plenty of fluids to keep your throat moist
+Eat about 30mins after taking your painkillers as it will make food easier to swallow
+Make sure your freezer is topped up with many ice-cubes to cool your drinks!
+Chew gum to loosen a stiff jaw
+Try to stay clear of acidic drinks as they sting like hell!

Hope this has helped!
Rachel :-)

Ok so I'm 20 and its day 9 ...im feeling alot better then i have but the other day I started to get this wierd burning feeling in my mouth..at first i thought it was my tongue..like i got it burnt or something..but then i discovered that it wasnt my tongue...i didnt get stitches and now i have crater like things where my tonsils once were and in one of those craters there is a raw area or something and it burns like mad ass....like when i drink something or eat anything..it doesnt matter what it is..jello or pudding even,,it burns so bad,,my ear starts to hurt and i dont even no what to do to deal with the pain but shake and i start to cry and my face goes all flush..it is honestly the worst pain i have ever encountered..and i have encountered some pain..so i dont no if it is infected or what it is...im scared to go to the doc and he tells me something bad,,,,so please if anybody else has had this happen to them please tell me..this is getting ridiculous and i just wanna get rid of it..yes i have lost some weight so that is a bonus but i cant even drink water and i feel like im going to die....it feels like i ate a whole jar of those jalapeno peppers..thats how much it burns..it seriously sucks lol..so please anybody have any input!!

I had a tonsillectomy two weeks ago. My throat feels great, but my tongue is still sore and painful. I told me Dr. at the post-op appointment last week and he just looked at it and said it didn't seem to be a problem. I already know that they clamp it during surgery, but I feel like it should have gotten better by now. Has anyone else had pain in their tongue this long after surgery? Its making me nervous!