I had a tonsillectomy two weeks ago today and just wanted to say a few positive things as stories tend to be all doom and gloom on here. Yes it is uncomfortable although have to be honest it is different for each person depending on your pain threshold (sorry men yours tends to be lower than us girls) but as long as you do what the docs tell you, you will heal quickly and be back to normal by day 10.

The first week i breezed through, i woke up from the op in no pain and just had a mild sore throat until about day 6 then it started to hurt more, esp the throbbing type pain in my ears and it hurt to swallow and talk. Take meds every four hours on the dot even if your in no pain, its harder to shift the pain once it arrives so dont let it!! Try to time it 30 mins before you eat!

In this country anyway (England) your encouraged to eat lots of rough stuff from day 1, none of this jello or ice cream as this does nothing to help you heal - the rough stuff scraps the back of your throat and keeps it clear from infection and helps it to heal faster - it hurts yes but you must do it. Chew it until its very soft i found letting the food slip to the back of my throat then swallow at the last minute didnt hurt so much (if that makes any sence)! Drink lots of water too as a dehydrated throat hurts like hell. If you think it hurts to drink, it will hurt 100 times more if you dont! I was eating toast about 3 hours after the op and have continued to eat normally even though some days it made my eyes water. My portions were very small and i lost weight but if you live off jello it will take longer to heal and you could pick up an infection - nasty!!

Manuka Honey i HIGHLY recommend, it has healing properties and taken with warm water is very very soothing and nums the pain. Drink this a couple of times a day. I did all this and by day 10 i was over it - eating and talking normally no pain what so ever. My overall take on tonsillectomy is it wasnt all that bad you do have to tough it out to some extend but each day gets better....just make sure you eat and drink normal things not just soft things thats the key ! :-)

Hi! I'm 23 &am on my 8th day after my tonsillectomy. I'm not able to take pain killers because they made me vomit profusley and I ended up in the ER twice since the surgery from the vomiting. It caused my scabs to come off pre maturely. Anyways, I am nauseated ALL DAY LONG and I feel like my glands, ears, back of neck and sinus cavities under my eyes are going to EXPLODE THROUGH MY SKIN! I've been eating toast and all the gnarly paintful stuff like you mentioned you did. No ice cream or anything. Anyways, the doctors have given me nausea meds that I've tried oraly and ANALY! Nothings working and I'm about to loose my mind from the pain and nausea. Any sug???

Hi there-I am a 38 year old female and nurse -got my tonsils out 9 days ago. It is hell. Honestly. I am in the US, and while my ENT prepared me for the pain I was going to feel, nothing can really prepare you. Day one-felt great. Had surgery and went home the same day, pretty high on pain meds and throat didn't feel all that bad. Second day was okay, managed to get Cream of wheat and jello along with water down. My uvula and tongue were horribly swollen. At first they gave me Lortab Elixir-and on the third day of that c**p, my stomach revolted and I vomited that entire morning. SO NOT FUN after a tonsillectomy! Luckily I didn't bleed and had Phenergan suppositories to suppress the nausea (you laugh now, suppositories are your life savers in these situations!). 4th day the pain hit me pretty hard. I aborted the Lortab Elixir and headed straight for the Percocet 7.5/325's. Much better pain control but short lived. I ate those as much as I possilby could, and threw an Elixir dose in there for good measure here and there. Still incredibly painful to swallow. by the 5th day I got a call from the short stay surgery RN for follow up, and she insisted I call the MD for better pain meds. I did-and got oxycodone (was concerned about all of that tylenol). It helped, but again short-lived. My MD, even though she said there is a risk it'll make you bleed, allowed me to take a large dose of Advil (WAY BETTER)! By far the worst thing is the lack of sleep. I didn't sleep well at all the first 6 nights. I think last night was my best sleep night, and that is after adequately medicating just prior to bedtime. You will wake up in the middle of the night, need to swallow, and when you do you realize just how dry you are! Drink as much water as you can stand. Yesterday, on top of all of this, I got a cold. Ahhhh, nice. Now not only is my swollen uvula and tongue impeding my sleeping, so is my plugged up nose! I do have scabs-the white covering and I can see a few pieces on my right side just hanging there-feels like something in my throat.

Misery is all I can say this is. Though many friends I have that had this done say they haven't had any subsequent sore throats and do not get sick as often. My ears are killing me with each swallow-that started a few days ago. Helps to push against your ears as you swallow. I have been off work for 10 days now....looking at quite likely another week, since I do work in a hospital setting.

Hang in there. Get lots of rest, watch all those movies you always wanted to see, read the books you have been putting off reading. And try to sleep the best you can-and stay away from peoples with colds!

Good luck to everyone.

I have also found in my research that many European doctors recommend rough food. However most emphasise that you should eat softer foods if it is too painful. I ate soft foods for the first few days and then progressivley ate more 'rough' foods - toast mostly. I would even say that at some point the rougher foods felt relieving.

I'm in the same boat as those who aren't having a good time with this. I'm on day 7, 24 year old female. I have a very high threshold for pain, as I have been in pain for many years. This is still AWFUL. As many others say, the first 3-4 days were, in many ways, not so bad. Though I was vomiting every day, I felt better after vomiting and there wasn't a lot of pain, just discomfort swallowing. The liquid codeine I was prescribed was the cause of the vomiting, so I tried to phase it out and only use acetaminophen every 4 hours. For the past 4 days, by hour 3 the pain has been terrible- very sharp stinging pain almost in the very corner of my cheeks it feels like, as well as constant throbbing, ear popping/pressure...It's currently 4am but I can't sleep. I haven't slept more than 4 hours straight in the past week. As for this eating TOAST thing, you people are INSANE. I can barely eat soft foods, like extra cooked pasta, rice, soups...the only thing i can manage that feels good to eat is blended frozen fruit smoothies. So I decided I'd post my recipe in case anyone else wanted to give it a try (you'll have to wing the measurements, I did...its like 3 pats fruit to 1 part apple cider, a teaspoon of hemp seed (shelled):

- Frozen strawberry/mango, apple cider, frozen sliced banana, and hemp seed. Its delicious, banana is very good for healing and also a preventative for bleeding, the hemp seed has tons of nutrients and protein, and the fruit has enough calories to be filling while not being all starch like the rest of the soft foods I've been trying to eat.

Also another thing I find that helps- spearmint gum! I chew it almost constantly (except when i'm TRYING to sleep, emphasis on trying) and it helps to relieve the pain, works my jaw muscles and stops the pressure in my ears. Plus it produces tons of saliva so your throat keeps from getting dry and hurting more.

And one more piece of advice- ask as many questions as you can, because at least in my experience people are not volunteering information. NO ONE told me vomiting was normal so i was horrified when it began, thinking i'd rip my stitches open. I'd also recommend pills over liquids- I know that seems funny since I'm in so much pain, but the liquid codeine is awful if you have too much in your stomach, whereas codeine pill form has never made me sick, and the liquid antibiotic I was given, the pharmacist didn't add enough water so its GRAINY and absolutely AWFUL. Thankfully today will be my last day taking it.

Best of luck to all of you going through this...I really hope the end is in sight...my spirits are getting down :-(

I am a 24yr old female i ahd my tonsills removed 3 days ago and i am in the worst pain ever, my painkillers don't seem to be easing the pain, any type of food or drink doesn't help with the pain i can't swallow without getting pain in my ears and throat please can somebody advise me what to do, thankyou

Truth is theres nothing you can do but wait this out! And hopefully by day 10 you'll feel better if you eat normally. Your ears will kill, your jaw will ache, swallowing is murder. Eat, drink, and I promise you will feel better. Im day 5. worst day today, expecting worse for the next 3 days as I dont seem to be losing much in the way of scabs yet. But everyone I know who has had this- eat and drink definitely key for a speedier recovery.
But seriously-my ears...ugh.

try medical marijuana, i was in your same boat until i started eating weed banana bread and weed oil. fixed both problems within 15min.

I'm 29yr female. The first 3-4 days were a breeze. I thought that is was not bad at all..a walk in the park..but little did I know that the worst pain was to come after day 4-5.. Jaw hurts, ears pain, painful to talk or eat or even drink. When doctor prescribed the suppositories and pain pills I honestly thought that I would not be using the suppositories..but the pain pills wasn't worning and I was in excruciating pain and crying like a baby. So, decided what the hell - after using the supps the pain was almost totally gone..for a few hours. Thank goodness for those. On day 7 now..can't wait to be back to normal. Good luck!

I had my tonsils out 2 weeks ago and it has been hell, Worst thing I've ever had to go through, The pain is unbearable starting day 3 leading all the way up to day 10 then your jaw is still extremely sore, If I could go back in time I would have never agreed to have my tonsils out ! Drink tons of water and keep ice packs handy at all times, Don't miss a dose of pain meds whatever you do !

I am day 1 post op and not in a ton of pain..my ears stayed popped and that's uncomfortable. I am in Ontario CANADA. My prescription is Tylenol 3 with codeine. I haven't felt sick. I'm sticking to ice cream (non dairy) popsicles jello pudding and pureed soup. I am so hungry !!
I hope these t3s will get me through the brutal pain everyone is talking about after day 4 :(

I had a tonsillectomy exactly 2 weeks and one day ago and yes it does get better the first week I was eating only ice and Jell-O and I thought there was something wrong there wasn't I just took longer to heal. Around the seventh day I had horrible ear aches that kept me up all night on the 10th day I went to the ER because the earaches were so horrible I could not even swallow water or sleep or move. Even on the 10th and 11th day I was still in horrible pain. On day 12 I could finally speak without having to take a sip of water immediately after day 13 I return to work but was still really weak from not eating and that night I had something more then a can of soup I think I chewed up a peanut butter and jelly sandwich . If your doctor has prescribed you some form of codeine liquid medication use it during the first week and use it all up once you're finished with that start on ibuprofen or Motrin daily this will help with the ear aches if you're unable to eat food because that your pain is so bad start taking the ibuprofen because it will stop the inflammation Inflammation and really does relieve a lot of your pain even more so than the coding for some reason. One last tip keep ice packs in the freezer you will need these at all times during the day also always keep a water bottle handy buy a case or two you'll go through the One last tip keep ice packs in the freezer you will need these at all times during the day also always keep a water bottle handy buy a case or two you'll go through all of them trust me .

I am 54 years old and a female living in the US I was told I was a bit old to get this surgery lol I tried to avoid it but my constant struggle with tonsillitis made me get it done. The surgery was fine it went by quickly. I didn't feel any pain for three days I took my medication on time and ate soft foods. But the third day I got off track taking the medicine and oh my god I felt the pain. I have been vomiting every day for the last three days and I feel horrible. I think I'll try not taking the ibuprofen today and see if that will help with the nausea. This is my tenth day. The pain is not so bad just feeling sick to my stomach everyday. Talking is getting better and starting to eat more foods. Also have not had a bowel movement that is making me consider a laxative.

Hi guys im 22 F and I am on day 8. I had the same problem as most of you with the liquid codeine but if you have your second prescription just ask your ENT to call the pharmacy and tell them to give you pills instead. This is what I did because I could not stop throwing up from the liquid one. You think the pill will be hard to swallow but it goes down nice and easy with one big gulp, sure itll hurt but in 15 minutes you literally have no pain for about 3-4 hours and then it comes back gradually so for about 2 hours after that the pain is tolerable. I always eat right before I take the pill even tho that last meal before the pill always gets me in tears because it hurts so much (I take it every 6-7 hours) but you have to put even a little slice of bread or something in your stomach. my ear pain started day 6 and it was literally like someone shot me in the ear everytime I swallowed, absolutely crazy, I strongly suggest heating pad and a super quite room! Day 6 and 7 i had locked myself in my room no tv no music no sound cover your eyes and just lay with the heating pad going from your ear to the back of your beck (DO NOT PUT IT ON YOUR THROAT ICE PACKS FOR THE THROAT HEAT FOR EARS AND BACK OF NECK). sounds boring but it was the most relaxing thing I could do.

today (day 8) I went out for some fresh air walked around the block a few times and it actually made me feel alot better, I recomend going out and getting some sun/freshair around day 8 or 9 a 30 minutes after you take your pain meds. Make sure you guys chew gum, I didn't listen to that and ended up getting lock jaw.. not fun.

Oh ya another big thing, brush your teeth ! This helps soooo much with the stank breath. I try to brush mine three times in the day, it really hurts to open your mouth but once you do the rest is easy. make sure you brush your tongue too, I really didn't brush my teeth the first 3 days and on the 4th day when i did my tongue was so gross and white and smeleld TERRIBLE now it is back to its pink color and I no longer stink up a room just by breathing in it. oh ya and it felt so weird to stick out my tongue to brush it almost felt like I was gaging but just do it, you will be glad you did.

So all in all here are my tips/expereince:

1. Ask your docotor to change the prescription from liquid to pill (if the people in the office say its not possible (LIKE THE ONES AT MY DOCTOR OFFICE DID) ask to speak DIRECTLY to the docotr, took my mom 3 days to finally get it but thats because the ladies in the office kept telling her it wasn't allowed so finally she went in to speak to the doctor herself and he was happy to do it.
2. Heat pack for your hears/back of neck once the ear pain kicks in (i promise you it will)
3. Once you start eating some solid foods try going for some fresh air and walk around for about 45min-1hr
4.BRUSH YOUR TEETH && YOUR TONGUE !
5. Don't talk. just let your throat muscles heal. I hear people say you need to talk to "excise it" ABSOLUTELY not. let it rest and until the frog sounds is out of your throat I would just write or text whatever you wants to say.
6. obviously tons of water, easy to say hard to do, but it hlps. KEY to knowing if you're having enough is if you pee at least 3 times a day. If you don't pee at least 3 times I would up your water intake because your body needs way more.
7. STAY AWAY FROM ICECREAM! I was so excited to have a milkshake cause even my doctor said it was fine but BOY WAS THAT A MISTAKE!! all the sugar milk made my siliva SO thick that I couldn't swallow for the next 10 minutes. totally crazy! it's 100% a myth and just something parents tell their kids so that they will do the surgery because boy was that one of the worstthings ever.
8. after day 6/7 you'll realize that warm things like tea sooth it much better and ice cold stuff actually start to hurt. not sure whats up with that could be differnt for everyone but thats what happend to me so now I drink room temperature water and eat all my foods warm.

Good Luck everyone ! I feel your pain, had no idea the recovery would be this long and painful but at least we won't be dealing with those nasty tonsil infections anymore !

Hey to anyone out there looking for advice- I am a 20 year old female from the US. I am on day 14 of my recovery, and besides a slight sore throat I am good as new. My story coorelates with most people’s on here, especially with the stomach issues from liquid codine. Honestly, that was the worst part. Just like everyone else, my first 3 days were a breeze. Ice packs, meds every 4 hours, I thought I was going to fly through this! Yup, well, then day 5 came around and knocked me on my ass. Days 4-6 were terrible. Jaw stiffness, ear pain, searing throat pain, and neck pain, all accompanied by extreme nausea and vomiting. I was so sick from the codine that my mom (a medical professional) decided to take me off it. (I was so sick for those days I couldn’t keep track of anything) I started alternating tylenol and motrin every 4 hours, and that SAVED me. I slowly started weening off of it, and by day 10 I wasn’t on any more pain meds. Some things that I found helpful was not talking, but still moving your tongue around your mouth (like sliding it over your teeth) to stretch out those sore muscles. Also just stretching your jaw helps. Start a little at a time and then everyday it will get easier. Also, DO NOT eat or consume dairy products. They make you so phlemmy that I ended up vomiting up my own phlegm because of how sick my stomach was. Also, it is important to keep your energy up so you can heal. I found that the blue Naked drinks did not burn and gave you the satisfaction of eating something with flavor. Overall, ice packs, tylenol, motrin, and a good netflix series is what is going to get you through this! Don’t be alarmed if also once your pain goes away, when you speak it may sound like you have cotton balls in your throat. That’s the best way can describe it. It goes away after a few days. I quite literally had to relearn how to speak and annunciate words because of how much my ENT cut out of my throat. I know this sucks and if you’re reading this there is a silver lining! I swear you will never appreciate a cheeseburger more than after you start eating real food again. Just get past those 3 days by doing whatever you can! Don’t listen to those terrible stories, I am a firm believer in the power of positive thinking when it comes to healing. You’ve got this!