My daughter has been ill for so many times, so her doctor recommended her to do removing of tonsils. This really makes me worry because I was always feeling fear of surgery. I have some disorder with blood, and I am afraid she might experience the same. Can you tell me how serious this operation is, and is she going to bleed a lot? Is that normal, and how I could protect her of bleeding?

Adenoidectomy and tonsillectomy remain two of the most commonly performed surgeries. Usually these procedures are safe and effective. However, risk of post-operative bleeding remains a concern. That is especially important for patients with bleeding disorders. Studies estimate that one to four percent of normal patients have bleeding associated with tonsil removal. That happens regardless of the procedure used. Patients with bleeding disorders have a much higher risk of bleeding. It might happen during and after the surgery. Some researches suggested a new standard of care for the management of mild bleeding disorders in patients undergoing adenotonsillectomy. These studies shown that is extremely important very good cooperation between the otolaryngologist and the hematologist. That is essential in the management of the patient with a bleeding disorder needing surgery. That’s why your daughter surgeon will check if she is safe for this operation, and then make it. Also you should report him if you have some bleeding disorder.