My daughter is 17, she had surgery 9 days ago, she had a Tonsilectomy and Adenoidectomy. Day 1-3 were bad but she slept alot, day 4 and 5 were ok as far as the pain. On days 6 and 7 the pain was pretty bad, she was crying and really hungry. She has been living on strawberry jello and scrambled eggs, she really thought this would never end. On day 8 she was feeling pretty good, she was able to eat better and she thought finally I am getting better. We had some pasta for dinner, she was feeling great and it tasted good. It was about a half hour after she ate when she tasted something funny in her mouth, she swallowed it. Then she proceeded to throw up 8 times within about 5 min, it was bright red blood and there was a lot of it. It stopped bleeding within 30 min, thank God. It was pretty scary for her and for us (the parents). She did not sleep very well last night. Today is her first day back to school, a senior, and she really wanted to go. I am really nervous that she might have another bleeding episode. Can anyone tell me what that bleeding was all about? I have heard that bleeding is normal, but why did she have so much. She has been very careful about not coughing and she is drinking lots of water. Was this the scabs breaking loose while she was eating? And could she have been swallowing all that blood while she was eating? Please let me know your thoughts.

I also had post-op bleeding. I suggest that you have her carry around a water bottle full of ice water, so if she starts bleeding again, she can go to the bathroom and stop the bleeding by drinking the water. If it persists, call a doctor so they can make sure it's just the scabs falling off and not something more serious.

I had 4 bleeding episodes and had to have another surgery to re-cauterize an area that kept bleeding, but some bleeding can be normal.

Hi there kitri, that is really scary that you had to go back under the knife to help with some bleeding. Can you tell me what would be considered an abnormal amount of bleeding? Thanks!

Hey kitri, I'd like to back up bluedog on his post. I'd like to hear what kind of post-op bleeding you went through because that sounds really intesnse. Let me know if you have a moment, okay? Thanks!