One year ago my 19 year old son had a traceostomy done. He has a Bivona trach coming from 3rd degree heart block, which from that he has anoxic brain injury(severe brain damage). He is also on a ventiltor at night just for c-pap, peep of 6. He is constantly getting infections in his trach, which was put in to protect his airways. Also on a little oxygen. I can't find any sites that actually tells you about the different infections in the trach, symptoms, how to treat, how to prevent. He has alot of Drs., I would like to read up on the information myself though. Maybe I am just not looking in the right places.
Thank you Cindy N.[/list]

Did not see any replies to your question about trach infections in your son so wanted to pass on some info: If your son is having localized skin infections around his trach, you may want to try a product called Kendall AMD Excilon Sponges. They are fenestrated drain sponges that have shown to help prevent trach site infections.

My son has had a trach twice now. Currently he has one too. Both times I visited Aaron's Tracheostomy page alot. Also at the first sign of any changes in his sinus drainage or color of suctioning I call the doctor - better to treat it quickly. The sponges do work well, my son wears regular guaze during the day to keep it dry and less irritated. Hope your son's condition with his trach improves. God Bless.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use