I'm a 35 year old male and was a high school track athlete running the sprints, hurdles, half mile and relays. Well, high school track had me in great shape, but left be BURNED OUT on running. About 10 years ago I got into running again dropped 10 lbs and pretty much returned to my old form, but burned out again. Now I'm 35 and have kept active lifting weights 2-3 times a week and mostly walking and I'm not in bad shape. I'm about 5'7 &1/2 and weight 155. While I'm not overweight, I'm small framed and everytime I get over 150lbs, my blood pressure starts to get borderline high. Last week I started back running and ran 10 minutes on 3 different days. This week I ran 15 minutes 3 times. I don't want to run to compete, just to lower my blood pressure and drop 5-10 lbs of excess stomach that I think contributes to my higer BP(132/86) and to feel the way I used to when I was a runner. Any suggestions on how much and how long and how not to burn out? I have a path behind my house to run and I don't know the mileage, I just go by time.

Have you considered cross training? Maybe a little biking or swimming thrown into the mix? I get bored on straight running too.

Slowly build it up to 1/2 hour a day 3-4 days a week and report back. I would expect positive results.

Well, in my original message, I was told to report back! I've been running 4 days a week and lifting weights 3 days a week religiously. I've lost about 15lbs and now a pair of 31 inch waist pants have a little to spare and by blood pressure is around 116/67. I run behind my house and have no way to measure distance, but I been running Sat./20 min, Sun./ my "long" day 30 mins, off Mon., and then running on tues and Wed. for 20 minutes and off Thurs/fri.... The good news is I might increase my food intake a little so I don't lose too much weigth.
The only possible sidetracks are winter, getting home at dark and having to run in the mud. I have an exercise bike in case the weather gets too bad. Here is another question. In the weightlifting program I am doing, it calls for every 3 months or so to take a whole week off, to let your body rest. Is this a good idea for running as well?
If anyone is interested and is in the same shape I was in and needing to drop a few pounds, here is basically my diet if it can help anyone listed below. Its not perfect by any means, but its no gimmick diet either but it allows me some vices and I can stick to it. Hopefully this will help someone and feel free to e-mail me.

My basic meals are a bowl of cheerios in skim milk for breakfast, a handful of peanuts, apple, banna, carrots for lunch and about anything I want for supper as long as I watch my serving sizes, I've been doing this by putting my supper in microwaveable dishes that have sections. Main course goes in the big section, veggies in the smaller 2 sections then I usually have a big glass of skim milk before bed. I also drink water throughout the day. But on Friday night, I go out and eat what and all I want, usually a Mexican buffet and I sometimes have a fastfood lunch on Saturday. On Sunday, after my long run, I have a big chocalate long john doughnut. And throughout everyday, I am drinking 3 cups of coffee, which is reduced from my previous 4 cup a day habbit. And if for some reason I don't have time for my normal supper anyday throughout the week, I have a 6 inch subway sub.