Hi. My brother was diagnosed with tuberous sclerosis and a friend of mine told me that it`s a genetic disease. I`m afraid that one day I will wake up with TSC too. Is it really a genetic disease? Is there a cure for TSC? What is the prognosis for persons with TSC?

Hi. Tuberous sclerosis is a rare genetic disease which gives you benign tumors in your brain and on your kidneys, heart, eyes, lungs and skin. It affects your central nervous system as well. Unfortunately, there is no cure for TSC. Some antiepileptic drugs and meds may be used, to control seizures and behavior. Surgery may help for treatment of skin lesions. TSC is a lifelong condition and affected persons need to be regularly monitored by doctors. The prognosis depends on the symptoms. Patients with mild symptoms generally live long lives, and the one with the more severe form may have serious problems.