Hello everyone,

So there is this friend of mine that I'm very close to, he is my neighbor actually and we spend a lot of time together. But he recently had his mitral valves repaired and he is definitely not the same after the procedure. He got extremely lazy, he is complaining most of the time and he is asking me almost every day when is he going to get better and when is he going to stop feeling tired all the time.

Do you know anything about this? Can you tell me what is the recovery period after mitral valve repair?

Hello Stradivarius,

I'm afraid that for some people the recovery process after mitral valve repair can take months up to ages because people are generally lazy and this procedure just makes it even worse. It takes a really strong will to get better after this and to recover one's full strength and to be able to exercise the way that person did before it had the procedure done.

There is a type of course called a cardiac rehabilitation that I would recommend for him. You can tell him about this, he will learn how to eat properly, I mean, he will get a good diet, learn how to exercise, etc.

Hey Stradivarius,

Recovery from heart valve surgery usually involves a few days in an intensive care unit in a hospital. Full recovery from heart valve surgery can take several months. Recovery includes healing of the surgical incision, gradually building physical endurance and exercising. 

It is quite normal for a person to feel tired after this surgery. It can also feel sharp pain on both sides of its chest. It is very important to follow a healthy diet after the surgery and to exercise on a daily basis in order to make your recovery full and in order to prevent any future problems with your heart.

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for your replies, Adria and Health n joy. I'll tell my friend that it is up to him to fight this laziness of his. I will tell him what you just told me, that he needs to eat healthy foods and that he needs to exercise on a daily basis.

Do you know how exactly should his exercises look like so I can tell him precisely? And what is this thing you mentioned above Adria, cardiac rehabilitation? It sounds good, it has to be good if a lot of people are attending it, can you tell me more about it perhaps?

Hey Stradivarius,

Sure, I'll give you some info about cardiac rehabilitation.

Cardiac rehabilitation is a professionally supervised program to help people recover from heart attacks, heart surgery and percutaneous coronary intervention procedures such as stenting and angioplasty. Cardiac rehab programs usually provide education and counseling services to help heart patients increase physical fitness, reduce cardiac symptoms, improve health and reduce the risk of future heart problems, including heart attack.

The rehabilitation program is designed to meet everyone's needs. Someone may need six weeks, others six months or more to learn how to manage their condition and develop healthier habits. Many programs last for only three months, but some continue for years.

Good day there everyone.

The operation will be scheduled at a time that is best for you and your surgeon if it is not urgent case. Be sure that you tell your doctor about any changes in your heart that include symptoms such as cold or flu.  Any of those changes can affect your recovery process.

Now, recovery period is different from patient to patient but it usually takes a little bit longer than you can expect. It is very complicated and serious situation and you need to know that you need to get a lot of rest if you want to be ok.

But no one can’t tell you when you are going to recover.

Good day people. I had mitral valve repair and I can talk about this for ages. First, when I found out that I need to go to the surgery I was scared. But that is normal. I tried to cancel my surgery or at least to prolong it, but my doctor told me that it is very dangerous to wait. So, I went to the surgery. It went fine, just fine. Than I needed to recover from it. It was a hell for me. I lasted more than 2 months until I recovered completely. I was really bad and I had all those ugly side - effects from medicines that I was using. So I want to tell you that you can expect everything.

Good day everyone.

You need to know that recovery after valve surgery may take a long time. Even longer than you expected. Also you need to know that during this recovery time all of your activities will be limited. You can expect to have some emotional and physical changes as well. You can feel depressed.

You can have some pain, such as chest pain or even trouble sleeping.

It is very important to have very good medications and to do some slow exercises as well. Good nutrition is also needed.

Weeks or months are required to be spent until you are fully recovered.

Hey there. It is usually a little bit harder to recover after mitral valve repair. The operation is very complicated and it takes a long to recover from all this pain and all those things that need to be healed. I don’t know it from my own experience, but I know that my aunt was recovering from this surgery for almost three months. She was actually in a lot of pain and pills were causing a side – effects to her. That is why this was so hard. When I think about this a bit, I don’t know anyone who recovered that fast from it. So, you need to be very patient.