i am a type 1 diabetic,insulin dependent,have been for about 8 years,i have had an eating disorder on and off for nearly 14 years,at the minute im hardly eating nything,n get scared 2 take insulin as cause hypos,but cuz had D.K.A twice,get scared not 2 so just hve bit of me long acting insulin in the day,is extremly hard 2 live with and the docs ive seen have been useless tellin me type 1 diabetics and anorexia dont go together so must eat!!!! if was that easy would have dun it years ago!!!anyone help or goin through similar thing,plz let me no.thanks xx

I have type 1 too, and started finding it hard to eat. I found that I was 55kg (1 kg underweight) I became to senstive too insulin and it released too quickly. I have a higfh metabolism so what nutritionists say doesn't work for me only people with a normal metabolism. I find keeping a good weight on makes the insulin work best.

It is easy to get caught up with nutrionists saying don't eat fat ect. You get punished with hypos and highs when you eat. I found I turned a corner when I realised my insulin worked best when I had a good weight on. Having a good weight makes me less sensitive to the insulin and then I can control it more easily.

Eating makes your metabolism stable, eat not enough and it wreaks havic with your blood sugars is my opinion. My blood sugars are much better now ( less hypos and highs) now I am occasionally eating Big Macs again and more carbs to keep my weight on.

I've always been really conscious about my weight, and recently I was diagnosed with type 1. I had lost about eight pounds before my diagnoses, and was thinner than I had ever been in my life, so it's obviously hard watching myself gain weight now that I'm on insulin. But you should be careful and not restrict yourself from food- maybe exercise more? It keeps you at a healthy weight and it speeds up your metabolism so you feel more like eating. Especially if you burn like 400 calories a day on the treadmill. Just a thought.