I was wondering about why there is type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes.  Is there any difference between the two?  If the type 2s need insulin, shouldn't they be a type 1 then?  It doesn't make much sense to call them two different things since they would be insuliln dependent too.  If someone has any information on it, that would be great.   My friend and I are having an argument over it. lol

Hello, Guest!  I can understand your confusion over the topic of what makes someone a type 1 diabetic and a type 2 diabetic.  First of all, a type 1 diabetic becomes that way because their pancreas gives out.  The beta cells on the pancreas cease to function due to factors beyond our understanding, but genetics may play a part.  Whereas the type 2 diabetic starts out with a healthy pancreas and through years of eating a high carbohydrate diet will begin to become insulin resistant, especially if the individual becomes overweight and sedentary.  Usually at this stage, the diabetic can manage the blood sugars by diet and exercise.  Eventually, the patient will need to take oral medications as the condition will worsen as time goes on.  A few years down the road, the diabetic will need insulin because the pancreas just cannot put out any more or enough insulin to counter the blood glucose.  This is where you see the similarity.  It is just that the reason of how the pancreas gets this way is why there are two different names for it.  Does that make sense?  It is just how the patient becomes a diabetic:  type 1 is somewhat "born" with it, and type 2 acquires it because of a lifestyle of unhealthy eating habits. 

Is there anyone that can add to the explanation to make it simplier to understand?  It can be confusing to explain to someone who doesn't have a background in medicine or physiology.