Hello everyone, I'm type 1 diabetic and need hypo help. For the most part, I let my BG levels run to high because I'm afraid to have a hypo. I'm constantly worried for my children so I really try to make sure I'm not going towards a seizure state which I could very easily. So, I found myself having a hypo before my noon day meal so I took some gluco tabs and then waited to eat lunch. I experienced shakiness and confusion and all I could think about was my children. I'm not having good luck with my diabetes manager so I decided to come to this forum for help. If anyone can help me about hypos and my worrying about my children it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello, I greatly sympathize with you as I have children as well and I'm type 1. I worry about it all the time. It was really bad in the early years but I have been able to relax about it now. As your are worried about hypos and are now experiencing that, I'm sure that makes your worry even worse. Of course, you need to manage your BG levels closely. I don't know how old your children are, but you might teach them to help you monitor your BG levels. If you can't do that then maybe you should have a friend around who can help you with that. Having a buddy can mean the difference in insuring you don't have a hypo but it also gives you piece of mind. It's important that you test as often as you can and that may mean up to 8 times (6 to 8) a day meaning before and 2 hours after you eat at least. Make sure you eat something on and off all day and keep your gluco tabs with you at all times. Make sure to keep some Lucozade on hand as it works faster than anything I know of. To help you with the constant worry about your children, I have never really stopped worrying. It's part of being a mother and know you have responsibilities. There are diabetic courses you can take that might help you. Just research on the Internet for diabetic courses and parental care. I don't know where you are located so I can't give a specific answer on that one. I wish the best for you and your children.