I was wondering... can a non-type 2 get a hypo?  My sister says she can't get a hypo.  She was just diagnosed with type 1 not too long ago.  She seems to think that sense she is insulin dependent that she won't have hypos since her blood sugars are always high.  I think she may still have hypos at some point.  What does everyone else think?

It is great that you are looking out for your sister and her type 1 diabetic condition.  You are, in fact, right when it comes to the topic you posted about insulin-dependent diabetics.  Since she is on insulin, she is more predisposed to having hypoglycemia.  It is because she takes insulin and insulin can make the blood sugar go down.  Sometimes it may make it go down too low.  The bad thing about the type 1 body’s inability to make insulin is that it can’t use the compensatory mechanism built into it as well.  This system can detect how much glucose is in the blood and tells the pancreas how much insulin is needed to take care of the blood glucose.  If the insulin comes from the outside source, it is hard to discern the proper amount needed to keep the blood glucose in balance.  It depends on a diabetic to check their blood sugar to determine how much insulin is needed.  It isn’t a perfect system but it works most of the time.  It is when the insulin is given and the food intake is delayed where it poses problems.  If food isn’t consumed when insulin had been administered, then the blood glucose will drop.  This makes the diabetic hypoglycemic and causes disorientation, blurry vision, and possibly faintness, or worse, coma.  Your sister needs to be aware that this could happen to her, so she needs to know the symptoms of hypoglycemia.

Your sister not only can as she will certainly get a hypoglycemia at a certain point. I have never seen a type 1 that never got it. What I think it is more incredible is that if she is already using insulin she had probably got all the instructions about its use and side-effects, so why didn't she get this information? One of the important things when getting insulin is to recognize and know how to treat  immediately hypoglycemia, not only her but family and friends. Be sure that she understand this and that she is prepared to treat it.