I am a type 1 diabetic girl and I am really worried because I heard that insulin causes weight gain.  THe more a person takes of it, the more is gained.  I am petrified that I gain any weight because I am on a swim team in school.  All of the girls are skinny and I am too.  I don't want to gain any weight if I ever need to increase my insulin.  So does anyone know if insulin causes weight gain in type 1 patients?  Thanks for your help

Hello, Guest!  Don't worry too much about weight gain with taking insulin.  You are an active teenager it seems so you should be able to burn all the calories you need to stay slim.  Just be careful about hypoglycemia when you ever increase your insulin intake.  If you are eating right and taking in the correct amount of carbs, you will be doing good.  Are there other diabetic teens that are concerned about gaining weight on insulin?  What have you done to maintain your weight?  Do you have suggestions to offer for our poster? 

As ybanks said, you're active, so the weight gain shouldn't be much. Swimming should keep you skinny, and your friends will help you through your petrification. I reccommend taking the minimal dose of insulin. This will keep the weight gain down. However, if you become unhelthy, you'll have to tak mor.Just make sure you eat right, and excercise and all that. Do what the doctor says, they know what they're talking about. Of course, you may also want to ask your parents about it or talk to your coach, if you're close. Keep swimming, good luck, and be healthey.