I am due to have both a Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy in a few weeks time and am wondering how long I should allow for the recovery period after the procedures. Specifically, is there any risk involved in engaging in sport such as 10 pin bowling (i.e. lifting an 8kg weigh) and also standing up for extended periods of time (e.g. all day) within 2-3 days after the procedures? These are two actvitives I am scheduled for after my colonoscopy and gastroscopy, and I am not sure if I should cancel them or not.

Your responses are appreciated.

Regards,

Steven

hi.
i had a gastroscopy a few weeks ago. seriously nothing to worry about.
i was under and awake again within 35minutes, when I got up and ate 2 sandwiches. felt like i woke up from a nice sleep, idn't have a sore throat or anything and felt completely fine. I played basketball and went surfing the next day, no probs. The only 'recovery time' was letting the mild drowsiness wear off, which was about 2-3hrs.

don't really know about the colonoscopy though, but i image as its a standard procedure it would be pretty much the same.

good luck!

Recovery time, a few minutes really, when you first stand up you might be a bit off balance but no more than coming home from the bar at 2AM. I went out and eat a meal afterwards since I hadn't eaten even the day before just to make sure things were all cleaned out down there. I like helping the doc to get a complete picture without t**d balls blocking his view. They say not to drink liquor or drive but hell I'm heading back out to party later tonight. I was good before the procedure now it's time to get back to being bad.

Is colonoscopy preparation and the procedure risky if you have had a recent bout of colitis with bloody diarrhea worried me.

Recovery time really varies!
It took me a week before I was functioning at all after a gastroscopy. I have esophagitis though and I couldn't talk for two weeks. The reason it took me a week was because I wasn't able to eat solid foods for the week and as a result I was very weak and in a lot of pain. Everyone is different. It really depends on the problems you are having.

Recovery time is different for everybody. After a colonoscopy I was out of it for hours. I had my appt at 9am and was feeling normal after 6pm. I had an IV sedation for that. When I did my gastroscopy I felt fine mentally minutes after, but I still feel air or something in the middle of the chest under the ribs. I was in four days ago for the gastro. I was out w general anesthetic for the gastro.