I am nearly 20 years old and am having very unusual spotting before my period. I have never been one to have breakthrough bleeding unless I missed a birth control pill. I have been perfect about taking my pills on time every night for several months straight, and yet I am spotting. This started a week ago today, and has changed throughout the week. I am supposed to start my period in a week. The spotting started out light brown, which didn't concern me. When it started changing between brown, red, purple-ish, and pink-ish, as well as changing from a thicker sticky texture to a very watery tecture, I began to be a little weirded out by this since I don't normally spot at all. I also passed a couple clots, which is also unusual for me. Not much pain is accompanying this, but my breasts have been somewhat tender, which is also very new for me. I took a pregnancy test, which came back negative.

My mom and boyfriend are somewhat concerned as well. What could be the causes for this?

Hi Fuz: Pregnancy tests are only reliable, if your HCG levels are high enough. Meaning you have to be missing your period then take it. The further you wait the higher the levels.

Is this spotting or an acutal bleed? If it is spotting, it COULD be implantation bleeding = meaning a fertilized egg embeded itself in the lining of your uterus. Causing some of it to dispel. This is usually brown though - due to the fact that it is old lining. Many women can be as normal and as regular as clock work, then experience something totally abnormal, then go back to being regular! Almost as though your brain got it's wires crossed!!! I remember once I was about 22 and I woke up and my bed, sheets, nightgown etc. was SOAKED with blood. I freaked out, washed myself up. And then NOTHING!!!! I never experienced that after!

I like to start out with the easily explainable then work my way up, not have the person start at the freakout stage then work their way down. So this could be due to stress, just a one off, and infection etc.

OR it could be a miscarriage!!! :-( When you mentioned the clots, and the purple, that could suggest you passed an embryo - which would just be a bit of jelly this early on. I read a few years ago, that some experts estimate that upto 60% of sexually active women have had a miscarriage and never knew it! Just putting it down to heavy or iregular periods! So that COULD explain why you had sore breasts and the discharge.

The best thing to do is wait till your actual period is due, then take another pregnancy test. That said, IF this abnormal bleeding continues, please get checked by a doctor, just to make sure you don't have anything else going on - such as an infection etc. You will be OK! Pretty sure it is not anything to worry about - unless your pregnant ;-) XD o.O So like I said, just get checked out if the bleeding continues, if it stops and you still have tender breasts get a home pregnancy test as close to your period as possible - which would be truer!!! Good luck and let me know how things work out OK?

Well it has small chance but this could be early miscarriage. If you had cloths and all those changes in your period, might indicate this. The good thing for you would be to go to a doctor. He can determine if you had this. This is not good thing, and because of that it would be best for you to see if everything is fine with your body. Please keep us posted on your condition.

I have a doctor appointment tomorrow, I will let you know what she tells me. My mother had a miscarriage back in the day, but it wasn't an early one. She sort of ruled out the chance of me having a miscarriage due to her memory of the pain it caused her, but if all of this is because of an EARLY miscarriage, I suppose that would make sense.

My last period was about five days late and short, but normal other than that, could that lean even more towards the possibility of a miscarriage?

How can the doctor tell if it was a miscarriage or not?

I'm really glad to hear that you are going to the doctor so that you can find a solution to your issue. As best I can tell, it's hard to determine as to whether you had a miscarriage or something like that but it does sound like one possible explanation. The doctor will do a blood test to tell if it's a miscarriage, or the doctor could also do a sonogram. Please let us know how it turns out for you.

Hi Fuz: Usinf and ultrasound - and please ask for one - the technician can tell which ovary the fertilized egg came from - IF in fact you did have a miscarriage. PLUS most of miscarriages don't need anything else done, BUT sometimes there is tissue left and that HAS to be removed to stop any infection - this is called a D&C. It is bascially a cleaning out of the entire uterus. But let's hang tight 1st. Being a woman means that SO many things can make our periods wonky, and for not apparant reason whatsoever, that's why I always say God's a man!!! ;-) XD

Now! When you just mentioned about your last period being five days late and short!!! You might just be pregnant!!!!!! o.O Because there are more and more women experiencing periods - some well into their 2nd trimester, usually shorter and lighter. The medical community is torn as why this is, some - and myself - believe it is from ALL the hormones we injest. Thus the reason why young girls as young as 6 are getting their periods!!!!!! So I am glad you are getting checked up tommorrow, and if they don't off an ultrasound ask for one OK? Good luck and let us know!!!