Hi, I have painful and itching urinations, and my diagnose is urethral pain syndrome. What are characteristics of this disease?

Urethral syndrome is specific for women and is characterized by irritative bladder symptoms such as urinary frequency, urgency, burning, and more. Urine analysis gives no evidence of any disorders and urologic findings stay in range of normal values. This means, there are no objective findings that could explain their symptoms. Usually seen symptoms include: urinary frequency, urgency and burning. Sometimes there is also low back pain, pain above the pubic region, and a hesitant or slowed urinary stream. Many of these symptoms are seen in other urinary disorders so diagnosing it is done by eliminating all other possible causes.

Hi. The cause of urethral pain syndrome is not really known. Some think the cause may be urethral narrowing, others say infectious agents, such as psychology, or neurologic factors, are to blame. My sister was diagnosed with urethral syndrome, turned out she has UTI. The symptoms of UPS are so similar to other urinary problems, and your doctor must first eliminate other diseases. It is very hard to treat illness whose cause is unknown. Antibiotics are usually first in the line of treatment drugs. Some people respond to certain oral pharmaceutical agents.

Potassium citrate is good for numbing the pain, and also for flushing you out. Don't bother with the tiny bottles and sachets Boots sell; but the much cheaper, more concentrated, bottle from an alternative chemist (every chemist _except_ Boots seem to have it) - the one by Bayer works very well, while others don't and can be a rip-off at £7 a go. Potassium citrate tastes utterly disgusting (think of mosquito repellent and you'll get an idea) BUT it works extremely well and you feel as right as rain in ten minutes after a particularly horrible attack of urethral syndrome. I suffer from the illness chronically and so it's my lifeline.