Hello guys. I really need help.  Yesterday I noticed that one of my dog’s paws is very swollen and I see him limping. That has never happened before. I mean, yes dogs are on their feet all the time but my lab’s paw doesn’t look like injured at all. I am scared that he has a cancer or something because I have heard that is not so rare.

Maybe you think I am panicking but this dog is everything to me. I have him since both of us were really young. Please help me out guys. Do you know what are the possible causes of swollen paw in dogs?

Hello, swollen paw in dogs is a pretty much common thing these days. It’s never dangerous, or should I say almost never, just in case. Basically, your dog is running the most part of his life and his paws are pretty sensitive. The odds to get something stuck between his toes are really big.

That’s the most common cause, either that, or he could be bitten by some insect or he could have a sting stuck somewhere in his paw. Other causes would be puncture wounds, or he might have even broken a toe or two. During the summer, he might also burn his paw pad on the hot asphalt.

Hey,
Rubylock, cancer is not an option here, so don’t worry about it.

Swollen paws are a really common thing and it’s not something that requires a big treatment or many medications.
He should be better in a day or two without you having to do anything, but you should check his paw pads for any foreign objects, they are basically the main cause.

You can try to move his toes just to check if he broke any of them. Puncture wounds are also a possibility but I doubt that he has one of those. As I said, he should be better pretty soon, but if case he isn’t (after a day or two), you should take him to the vet.

I am really sorry because you are meeting with this for the first time. But, let’s be realistic, it happens all the time, and I sincerely hope that this is nothing serious.

Those injuries are really common in dogs, but you should know that I am possible sure that you don’t need to be scared, because cancer is not one of the options. I am pretty sure for this one.

Possible causes are injuries, bites from some small animals, some bacterial infections, etc.

Just in case, go and visit your vet.

I am sure that there is nothing to be worried about, but you will feel much better :)

Hello. I have to agree with all member in here. Once you learn all about swollen paw in dogs, you will know how to prevent it and how to treat it. So, it will be much easier for you in this case. I am almost positive that some object caused swollen paw. In this case, you should find the way to get this object out. If you are not sure how to do it, you should ask your vet to do this. And, I want to say that you don’t need to be worried, like other members told you – stop thinking about cancer. It is not a cancer.  

Hi everyone,

As the person above already said, cancer is not an option.

I have a small breed dog, German Spitz, if you heard of it.

You can see her with a swollen paw about once in every two months. It causes her to limp sometimes, and sometimes it doesn’t. I don’t usually do anything, it goes away itself after a day.

One time it didn’t stop for 2 days and I took her to the vet. He found a bite wound, he wasn’t sure what it was but he thought it was a spider bite. He said it would heal alone and it did.

Cancer? You're overreacting. Swollen paws are not a big deal. I get to see that more often than anything else, since I meet a lot of people who are with their dogs in the park. I have never heard from anybody that they had had problems because of swollen paws. When it comes to my personal experience with my dog, it only happened twice, one time he burned his paw pad on the asphalt cause it was really, really hot. And the other time, I don’t know. It just happened, I couldn’t find anything between his toes, no wounds or stings. His paw was better after a day and a half.

Hey everyone.

Ok, stop and think before you write something, ok?

I understand that you are worried, but cancer? No way :)

This is not an option and you should forget about it.

You should try to find other causes, they can be small ones, and they can be bigger as well.

Your dog definitely hurts his paw somewhere, probably while he was playing.

There is a big possibility that you didn’t notice this at the beginning, because it was small and your dog was not in the pain.

But, according to my experience, this must be it.

Put ice on it, and of course, visit the vet :)

Good day there.

Well, a swollen paw in dogs can be a result of any one of the number of things that dogs get up to and in to, such as insects bites or even a broken toe.

Well, the causes of paw irritation, include irritation after walking on gravel, some allergies to grass maybe, like I told you – broken nails, wounds, bites, spiders, bees, snake bites, etc.

As you could read, there are a numerous of causes.

But, the main key is to determine what is the main cause of swollen paw in dogs,

And, I will repeat what other people told you – it is not a cancer :)